What is the smallest natural number n for a^(3n)=a (mod 85)?

• Thread starter papacy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: Good job!In summary, to find the smallest natural number n such that a^(3n)=a (mod 85) for each integer a, we need to find a minimal n such that a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{5} and a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{17}. Using Fermat's theorem, we know that a^{5} \equiv a \pmod{5} and a^{17} \equiv a \pmod{17}. By finding the least exponent 3n such that these congruences hold, we can determine that n=11 is the smallest natural number that satisfies the given condition.
papacy

Homework Statement

Find the smallest natural number n such that: a^(3n)=a (mod 85) for each integer a.
Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

because 85=17 . 5 and gcd (5,17)=1 we have to find the n such:

a^(3n)=a (mod 5) and a^(3n)=a (mod 17).

From Fermat theorem we know that a^(17)=a (mod 17) and a^(5)=a (mod 5)

so we have: a^(5)=a^(3n) (mod 5) and a^(17)=a^(3n)(mod 17).

I don't now how to continue and find the smallest natural n.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've already observed that it suffices to find a minimal n such that [itex]a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{5}[/itex] and [itex]a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{17}[/itex]. Here's a hint about how to do so:

You already know that [itex]a^{5} \equiv a \pmod{5}[/itex]. Show that [itex]a^9 \equiv a \pmod{5}, a^{13} \equiv a \pmod{5}[/itex] and so on.

Similarly, you know that [itex]a^{17} \equiv a \pmod{17}[/itex]. Show that [itex]a^{33} \equiv a \pmod{17}[/itex], and so on.

Use the above to find the least exponent 3n such that [itex]a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{5}[/itex] and [itex]a^{3n} \equiv a \pmod{17}[/itex].

Please post again if you have any questions.

i just do it. i find a^(33)=a(mod5) and a^(33)=a(mod17)
now can i say that 3n=33 and n=11. is that right ?

papacy said:
i just do it. i find a^(33)=a(mod5) and a^(33)=a(mod17)
now can i say that 3n=33 and n=11. is that right ?

I got the same answer.

1. What is the definition of "number of theory modulo"?

"Number of theory modulo" refers to a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of numbers and their relationships when taken modulo a fixed number, also known as the modulus.

2. What is the purpose of using "number of theory modulo"?

The purpose of using "number of theory modulo" is to simplify and study mathematical problems involving large integers by reducing them to problems involving smaller integers, known as residues, and their properties.

3. How is "number of theory modulo" applied in real life?

"Number of theory modulo" has various applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and engineering. It is used to ensure secure communication, optimize algorithms, and solve engineering problems involving periodicity and cycles.

4. Can "number of theory modulo" be used with any number?

No, "number of theory modulo" is typically used with positive integers. However, it can also be extended to negative integers and fractions in certain cases.

5. How does "number of theory modulo" differ from regular arithmetic?

"Number of theory modulo" differs from regular arithmetic in that it only considers the remainder when a number is divided by a fixed modulus, rather than the whole quotient. This leads to different properties and operations than regular arithmetic.