Numerical integration of a magnetic spin vector in a magnetic field

• Thread starter chaiyar
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi there, thanks in advance for any help!

I have a first order DE: [tex] \frac{\partial \vec{m}}{\partial t} = -\vec{m} \times \vec{h}_{eff} + \alpha \vec{m} \times \frac{\partial \vec{m}}{\partial t}[/tex] (a scaled Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert equation)

where m is a magnetism vector, alpha is a damping factor and h is an effective uniform magnetic field.

I'm trying to numerically integrate it with the Euler method to get a precession of the spin vector around the h vector.

So far I've integrated the first term but the second, damping term I can't see how to translate into code.. (in C++)

So essentially what I've done is assumed the magnetic field to be aligned in the z-direction, and written
Code:
for(i=1 ; i<=tmax ; i++) {

mx = mx + h * -my;
					my = my + h *  mx;
					t = t + h;
for the first term, where mx is the x-component of the m vector etc. and h is the timestep, and I need to add the damping term onto the end.

Considering the x-component first, presumably the derivative in the damping term has to be put down as m_x as well, but what direction is the other m vector to be taken in?

Sorry if that's not very well asked, but thanks a lot for any help!

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello, chaiyar.

If you write out the DE for each component (x, y, z), you will get three equations that are linear in ##\dot{m_x}, \dot{m_y}, \dot{m_z}##, where the dot denotes time derivative.

Algebraically solving these simultaneously for ##\dot{m_x}, \dot{m_y}, \dot{m_z}##, you can get equations of the form

##\dot{m_x} = f_1(m_x, m_y, m_z)##
##\dot{m_y} = f_2(m_x, m_y, m_z)##
##\dot{m_z} = f_3(m_x, m_y, m_z)##

for certain functions ##f_1, f_2, f_3## .

Then you can use these equations with the Euler method to step forward in time.

Thanks for your help TSny, but I'm still a little lost.

I end up with three equations of the form

[tex]

\dot{m}_x = f_1 (m_y,m_z,\dot{m}_y,\dot{m}_z) \\
\dot{m}_y = f_2 (m_x,m_z,\dot{m}_x,\dot{m}_z) \\
\dot{m}_z = f_3 (m_x,m_y,\dot{m}_x,\dot{m}_y) \\

[/tex]

but I don't see how to incorporate the time derivatives into the program.. Do I have to take the equations further to get rid of the derivatives by using Lagrange multipliers or something like that?

Thanks again!

You have three equations that are linear in ## \dot{m}_i ##, so you always can convert them to ## \dot{m}_i = f(...) ##, where the right hand side is independent of ## \dot{m}_i ##.