Numerical integration of improper integral

In summary: But this seems like it ought to be incorrect. :huh:In summary, the conversation discusses the need to generate synthetic data for testing an algorithm and provides equations for constructing a synthetic wavelet. The improper integral in question is then examined and methods for evaluating it are suggested, including numerical integration and using identities to simplify the integrand. Some values for the constants are also discussed, and the possibility of using a different method involving the FFT is mentioned. Finally, a potential error in the code is identified and discussed.
nkinar
Hello--

I need to generate synthetic data to test an algorithm used to process data from an experiment. A synthetic wavelet is constructed using the following equations, but I am uncertain how to numerically evaluate the improper integral shown below.

[tex]
\[
u(t) = {\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} \left\{ {{\textstyle{1 \over \pi }}\int\limits_0^\infty {S\left( \omega \right)\exp \left[ {i\left( {\omega t - kr} \right)} \right]d\omega } } \right\}
\]
[/tex]

In the equation above, [tex]{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} [/tex] indicates the real part, [tex]\pi[/tex] is the ubiquitous pi constant, [tex]i[/tex] denotes an imaginary number, and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular frequency (1/s).

Also,

[tex]
\[
S\left( \omega \right) = 4\sqrt \pi \frac{{\omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^3 }}\exp \left[ { - \frac{{\omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^2 }}} \right]
\]
[/tex]

In the equation above, [tex]\omega_0[/tex] is a reference angular frequency (1/s).

Also,

[tex]
\[
kr = \left( {1 - \frac{i}{{2Q}}} \right)\left( {\frac{\omega }{{\omega _0 }}} \right)^{ - \gamma } \omega t
\]
[/tex]

In the equation above, [tex]Q[/tex] is a constant real number, [tex]\[\gamma = (\pi Q)^{ - 1} \] [/tex], and [tex]t[/tex] is the time (s).

How would I numerically integrate the improper integral to obtain [tex]u(t)[/tex], also using the other formulas listed above?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a quick look but I don't have time to really go into it.
If I were you, I would start by plugging in all the definitions, to obtain something of the form

[tex]u(t) = Re\left\{ \int_0^\infty f(\omega) \, d\omega \right\} [/tex]
where the integrand looks like
[tex]f(\omega) = C \exp( \alpha(\omega) ) \exp( i \beta(\omega)) [/tex]
for some real functions alpha and beta. Then you are interested in
[tex]u(t) = C \int_0^\infty e^{\alpha(\omega)} \cos(\beta(\omega)) \, d\omega[/tex]
If you choose values for all your constants (Q, w0, t) you should be able to plot this as a function of omega and see how quickly it oscillates around omega = 0 and how quickly it goes to zero for omega large. Then you should choose a numerical integration strategy based on that (e.g. do you need to make approximations? Do you write a C++ program or let Mathematica's NIntegrate have a go?)

Hello--

Thank you very much for your response, CompuChip! :smile:

Okay, here is my progress so far. By making all of the substitutions, I obtain the following for the integrand:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = \left\{ {4\sqrt \pi \frac{{\omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^3 }}\exp \left[ {\frac{{ - \omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^2 }}} \right]\exp \left[ {i\left[ {\omega t - \omega \tau \left( {\frac{\omega }{{\omega _0 }}} \right)^{ - \gamma } } \right] - \frac{1}{{2Q}}\omega \tau \left( {\frac{\omega }{{\omega _0 }}} \right)^{ - \gamma } } \right]} \right\}
\]
[/tex]

Now this is close to the form that you give, but with an additional [tex]K(\omega)[/tex] term:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ {i\beta \left( \omega \right) - K\left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]
[/tex]

Where:

[tex]
\[
C = 4\sqrt \pi \frac{{\omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^3 }}
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
\[
\alpha \left( \omega \right) = \frac{{ - \omega ^2 }}{{\omega _0^2 }}
\]

[/tex]

[tex]
\[
\beta \left( \omega \right) = \omega t - \omega \tau \left( {\frac{\omega }{{\omega _0 }}} \right)^{ - \gamma }
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
\[
K\left( \omega \right) = \frac{1}{{2Q}}\omega \tau \left( {\frac{\omega }{{\omega _0 }}} \right)^{ - \gamma }
\]

[/tex]

However, I would like to obtain the following:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ {i\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]
[/tex]

Now using Euler's formula:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = {\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} \left\{ {C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ {i\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]} \right\}
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\cos \left[ {\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]
[/tex]

Now how do I get rid of the [tex]K(\omega)[/tex] term?

Ah - use identities!

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ {i\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ { - K\left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]
[/tex]

Now the real part of the RHS becomes:

[tex]

\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ { - K\left( \omega \right)} \right]\cos \left[ {\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]
\][/tex]

Yes
[tex]
e^{a} e^{ib + c} = e^a e^{ib} e^{c} = e^{a + c} e^{i b}
[/tex]

Looks good. Now can you give some info about the values of the constants? If I choose them somewhat conveniently, for example
[tex]\tau = 0, Q = 1/\pi, \omega_0 = 1[/tex]
I can even let Mathematica do the exact integration and get
[tex]u(t) = \int_0^\infty f(\omega) \, d\omega = - \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{8} e^{-t / 4} (t^2 - 2)[/tex]

That's terrific, thanks CompuChip! :smile:

Sure, normally

[tex]
0 \leq \tau \leq 2
[/tex]

[tex]
0 \le Q \le 500
[/tex]

[tex]
\omega_0 = 2 \pi f_0
[/tex]

[tex]
0 \leq f_0 \leq 1000
[/tex]

That's great to know that you can do the exact integration using Mathematica! On my end here (using Matlab), I'm trying to do everything numerically, and I am finding that the values of the integrand are very small as [tex]\omega\rightarrow \infty [/tex], and become extremely large as [tex]\omega\rightarrow 0[/tex]. I suspect a small error in my code. :eek: What does your Mathematica notebook say for [tex]\tau=0.2[/tex], [tex]Q=400[/tex], and [tex]\omega_0= 2\pi(50)[/tex]?

I've also been thinking that another way to go about it would be to do the following.

In the time domain, an equivalent version of [tex]S(\omega)[/tex] can be defined as:

[tex]
s(t) = \left(1 - \frac{1}{2}\omega_0^2 t^2\right) \mbox{exp} \left(-\frac{1}{4}\omega_0^2 t^2 \right)
[/tex]

Now by taking the FFT of zero-padded discrete [tex]s(t)[/tex] and shifting the zero-frequency component to the center of the spectrum, we obtain [tex]S(\omega)[/tex].

But then again, it's always conceptually nicer to do this with [tex]S(\omega)[/tex] rather than go through the hassle of the FFT.

After checking things over a number of times, I do not think that there is any error in my Matlab code. (At least I hope not.) The difficulty seems to arise with the [tex]K(\omega)[/tex] term, which I write again below:

[tex]
K(\omega) = \frac{1}{2Q} \omega \tau \left( \frac{\omega}{\omega_0} \right)^{-\frac{1}{\pi Q}}
[/tex]

Now

[tex]
\lim_{\omega \to \infty}K(\omega) \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]

since [tex] \omega^{1 - 1/(\pi Q)} \rightarrow \omega [/tex] as [tex]Q \rightarrow \infty[/tex], with [tex]\omega_0 \in\Re[/tex] and [tex]\tau \in \Re [/tex] as constants.

But then

[tex]
\mbox{exp} \left( -K(\omega) \right) \rightarrow 0
[/tex]

as [tex]\omega \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

Strangely enough, I've found that by removing the [tex]K(\omega)[/tex] term from the expression, I can obtain what appears to be exactly the output that I require!

So here is the integrand before the removal:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\exp \left[ { - K\left( \omega \right)} \right]\cos \left[ {\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]
[/tex]

Here is the integrand after removing the exponential term with [tex]K(\omega)[/tex]:

[tex]
\[
f\left( \omega \right) = C\exp \left[ {\alpha \left( \omega \right)} \right]\cos \left[ {\beta \left( \omega \right)} \right]
\]

[/tex]

One lingering question remains: would it be logical to suppose that the contribution of [tex] \mbox{exp} \left[ -K(\omega) \right] [/tex] to the numerical integral is minimal? :confused:

nkinar said:
After checking things over a number of times, I do not think that there is any error in my Matlab code. (At least I hope not.)

I was wrong. :redface: After checking the code over, I traced the problem back to the following line of Matlab code used to calculate [tex]K(\omega)[/tex]:

[tex]
K(\omega) = \frac{1}{2Q} \omega \tau \left( \frac{\omega}{\omega_0} \right)^{-\frac{1}{\pi Q}}
[/tex]

This is the wrong line of Matlab code:
Code:
K = ( 1.0 / 2 * Q ) .* omega .* tau .* term;

This is the proper line:

Code:
K = ( 1.0 / ( 2 * Q )  ) .* omega .* tau .* term;

I've found that [tex]\mbox{exp}\left[ -K(\omega) \right ] [/tex] is indeed required in the integrand since this seems to govern the attenuation of the wavelet.

For the integrand [tex]f(\omega)[/tex], I've found that a discontinuity occurs near [tex]\omega = 0[/tex], so I had to numerically integrate using trapezoidal integration from [tex]\omega = 2\pi(0.1)[/tex] to [tex] \omega = 2\pi(1000) [/tex], instead of on the interval [tex] \left [ 0 , \infty \right) [/tex]

Now finally I am able to calculate the wavelet which is required to test my algorithm!

Many thanks for your help, CompuChip. I couldn't have done it without your suggestions! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is numerical integration of an improper integral?

Numerical integration of an improper integral is a method used to approximate the value of an integral that does not have a closed-form solution. It involves breaking the integral into smaller, manageable parts and using numerical techniques to calculate the approximate value of each part, which are then summed to get an estimate of the total integral.

2. What makes an integral improper?

An integral is considered improper if one or both of its limits of integration are infinite, or if the integrand has a singularity (e.g. a vertical asymptote) within the limits of integration. In these cases, the integral cannot be evaluated using traditional methods and numerical integration must be used.

3. How does numerical integration work?

Numerical integration involves dividing the interval of integration into smaller intervals and using numerical techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the integral over each interval. These approximations are then summed to get an estimate of the total integral.

4. What are the limitations of numerical integration?

Numerical integration can introduce errors into the calculation, particularly if the intervals used are not small enough or if the integrand has steep or oscillatory behavior. It is also limited by the precision of the computer used for the calculation.

5. When should I use numerical integration for an improper integral?

Numerical integration should be used for an improper integral when a closed-form solution is not available or when the integral is difficult to evaluate using traditional methods. It is also helpful when dealing with integrands that have singularities or when high precision is required for the calculation.