Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nyquist Plot Intersection with Real Axes

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, i'm real confused and stucked about a point in applying Nyquist stability criterion... now i'll explain why.

I know that it's needed to know how many times i'm wrapping the nyquist critical point (-1;0) with my plot, and i'm enough good to draw by hand a nyquist plot, but the problem is to determine analitically the intersection value of the plot in which i'm interssecting the real axes, i've heard that i have to substitute 'jω' in my transfer function and after i have to divide the real part from the imaginary part of my transfer function and then find out the ω where I'm intersecting the real axes putting the real part of the transfer function equal to zero. Mathematically speaking : RealPart(F(jω))=0 where F is my transfer function.
    Once i've found the ω i substitute that ω in my transfer function to find the exact point where i'm intersecting the real axes.
    My first question is : Is there a quicker way to compute this point without using software, since I need it for a test ?

I've heard about the arctan way of computing the phase, but the problem is that if I put an equation (for example) like this :
    arctan(w/3)+arctan(w/5)-3arctan(w/10)=-180

it's impossible for me to solve it...i don't know how to handle these arctan equations, my second question is : Is there a way to compute it ? And if not, which is the way to solve this problem ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2
    You could use Im(F(jω)) (edit: You meant Im(F(jω)) = 0 ?) and just punch in likely values for ω (on a calculator) until you find the sign change. That should put you close enough to the intersection with the real axis for a quick sketch.

By hand? It's easy for some systems, hard for others. I had a very basic implementation of Newton's method on my calculator to solve equations like that numerically. Came in handy now and then.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    Can you make me an example ?
    For example if i have a transfer function like : F(s)= 10*(s+5)/(s-1)^3 how should i proceed ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook