1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nyquist Sampling Thm - Question 2

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello,

This is the same type of question as the one I just posted before. This time I have obtained an answer and would really appreciate it if someone would check my reasoning:

Suppose a signal x(t) has a Nyquist sampling frequency [itex] \omega_s [/itex]. Compute the Nyquist sampling frequency for the following signal in terms of [itex] \omega_s [/itex]:

dx/dt

Again, my first thought was, how does the spectrum of the new signal compare to that of the original? Simple:

[tex] \mathcal{F}\{\frac{dx}{dt}\} = j\omega X(j\omega) [/tex]

So, I obtained an answer through reasoning rather than computation. Here was my reasoning: if the spectrum of the original signal x(t) has some maximum frequency [itex] \omega_M [/itex] i.e. it is band limited such that:

|X(jw)| = 0 for |w| > w_M

then we know that:

[tex] \omega_s = 2\omega_M [/tex]

Furthermore, |jwX(jw)| is zero whenever |X(jw)| is zero, therefore, the spectrum jwX(jw) of the differentiated signal is STILL zero outside of this frequency range i.e. it is band-limited in exactly the same way. Therefore, it's maximum frequency is also [itex] \omega_M [/itex], which means that its Nyquist sampling frequency is also given by [itex] 2\omega_M [/itex]. In other words, the Nyquist sampling frequency of the new signal is just the SAME as that of the old signal: [itex] \omega_s [/itex].

Does this reasoning hold?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2
    Yes, it holds alright.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?