O-ring groove specifications and questions

• Thread starter Jynx18
  • Start date
In summary, the oring is there to cause friction, the OD of the groove should be slightly smaller than the OD of the oring, and to keep some friction the OD of the groove should be slightly wider than the oring.
Jynx18
I am looking for some info. I have two hollow tubes that need to slide into each other and have the inside one not fall out due to friction from the oring INSIDE the larger one. It is not doing any sealing, the oring is just to cause friction. The inside tube will be moved to remove and replace it but it is not a constantly moving part. The tube diameters and oring size are set. I just need to size the groove for the oring to sit in.

Oring
Size: 018
ID: 0.739"
OD: 0.879"
Cross section: 0.07"

Tube 1:
0.75" ID

Tube 2:
0.74" OD

Tube 2 goes inside Tube 1.

From the parker handbook it looks like the oring groove should be slightly wider than the oring. Also to keep some friction the OD of the groove should be slightly smaller than the OD of the oring.

Here is what I am thinking from the handbook:

It says Gland Depth sould be 0.050" to 0.052".

So 0.75" + 0.050" + 0.050" = 0.85" to 0.854"

Groove Diameter: 0.85" to 0.854"

And right from the handbook:
Groove Width: 0.093" to 0.098" (sounds a little wide to me though)

Any input on design of this would be great. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want a frictional grip rather than a fluid seal so hydraulic data will be misleading since fluid must move around the O-ring to pressure seal.

The O-ring must be deformed sufficiently to apply the friction you require.

The volume of the O-ring is fixed. If not under tension the O-ring will have a fixed cross section. Deformation into a flat sided ellipse will require a groove width that does not pinch the O-ring.

1. Investigate the flattening needed to grip OK between cylinders. O-ring grip thickness = t.
2. Measure the O-ring width in that situation. Width = w.
3. Machine a grove of width w and depth t.

Tolerance will be taken up by filling the unused corners of the groove.

If all you are interested in is friction, why use an Oring at all?

Use something spring energized, that way you can control the level of friction.

I also need that the oring kind of centers the tube but am open to other methods. What would you recommend?

The great thing about deformation of a partially constrained rubber cross section is that it is elastic, just like a spring.

Unfortunately, water is a natural lubricant of rubber. The coefficient of friction will depend on the (water / oil / dry) state of the contact. If not lubricated, a dry friction surface may gall the rubber seal. Abrasive wear can be reduced by the use of a polished stainless steel or a chrome plated sliding surface. If grit is present it will become embedded in the rubber which will wear the metal sliding surface faster than the softer rubber.

One problem with O-ring seals is that they get pushed into, or pinched in, the small gap between the piston and cylinder. O-ring hoop tension can be used in the absence of fluid pressure by cutting the groove for the O-ring with a deeper dovetail section, axial pressure will then tend to lift the O-ring away from the friction surface. That can significantly reduce galling of the rubber and sensitivity to lubrication.

Related to O-ring groove specifications and questions

1. What is the purpose of an O-ring groove?

An O-ring groove is a specific design feature on a mating surface that is used to accommodate and secure an O-ring seal. This ensures a reliable and leak-proof seal between two components.

2. How do I determine the appropriate O-ring groove specifications?

The appropriate O-ring groove specifications, such as depth, width, and diameter, can be determined by considering the size and material of the O-ring, the application and operating conditions, and the desired compression and sealing requirements. Consulting an O-ring manufacturer or using online calculators can also help in determining the right specifications.

3. Can O-ring groove dimensions vary between different O-ring sizes?

Yes, O-ring groove dimensions can vary depending on the size of the O-ring. It is important to ensure that the groove dimensions are suitable for the specific O-ring being used to ensure proper sealing.

4. What are the common types of O-ring groove designs?

The two most common types of O-ring groove designs are radial and axial grooves. Radial grooves are circular and provide a compression force on the O-ring, while axial grooves are rectangular and provide a shear force on the O-ring. Other types include dovetail, rectangular, and quad-ring grooves.

5. How do I ensure proper installation of O-ring grooves?

Proper installation of O-ring grooves is crucial for ensuring a reliable seal. This involves cleaning and inspecting the groove for any damage or debris, lubricating the O-ring before installation, and ensuring the O-ring is properly seated in the groove without any twists or gaps. It is also important to avoid over-compression of the O-ring, as this can lead to premature failure.

Back