Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama's speech in Cairo, June 2009

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-at-Cairo-University-6-04-09/ [Broken]

I thought it was a reasonably good speech. But the GOP doesn't agree.

GOP chastises Obama's speech over Israeli-Palestinian issue
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/04/obama.speech.political/index.html

I don't see where Obama is apologizing as much as acknowledging past misdeeds.

American Muslims, Jews rate Obama's speech
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/04/obama.muslims.jews/index.html

Certainly there are different views. So, let the dialogue continue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Here is another CNN Report on reactions:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/04/obama.mideast.reactions/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

It was an impressive address. It was almost shocking to see a US President not pandering to the Israelis.

I don't get where Romney and other Republicans are coming from about his apology tours. The last thing the world needs is more of the last administration, with their secret side deals, and their inattention to their own behavior. My guess is that Romney's remarks about apology tours recently is really about jealousy, and trying to steal a news cycle, to pad his resume for 2012, lest anyone forget him by then - a distinct possibility.

Here's a video of the address from CSPAN:
    http://cspan.org/Watch/Media/2009/06/04/HP/R/19357/Pres+Obama+Speaks+to+the+Muslim+World+From+Cairo.aspx [Broken]

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    The boy needs a history lesson. In 1948 millions of Muslims voluntarily abandoned their homes in India to live in Pakistan after the partition (and similarly many Hindus left Pakistan). Many stayed and became integrated minorities. The two state solution, very messy, but it is history. They are not demanding repatriation after 60 years. There also was a two state solution for Palestine in 1948: Israel and Jordan. The Arab League nations told the Muslims in Israel to abandon their homes. The Jews did not expel them. Many stayed and became Israeli citizens. The Arab League nations waged (and lost) three wars of aggression in 1948, 1967 and 1973. The Israelis have left Gaza and get rocket attacks in return. Why should they make any more territorial concessions? The Egyptians signed a treaty and got Sinai and the Canal back. The Syrians and Iranians and their Palestinian pawns do not want peace. Peace will come if the Palestinian people take control of their destiny and rid themselves of their extremist "leaders". During the campaign he said it was unacceptable for Iran to have nuclear weapons but I am sure he had his fingers crossed. His weakness will embolden the enemies of Israel. He will force them into a preemptive strike against Iran. The blood will be on his hands.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4
    Excuse me, "the boy"?

"Has his fingers crossed"?

"The blood will be on his hands"?

Incase you didn't notice, this isnt the loney forums.

6. Jun 5, 2009 #5
    Excuse me, "loney"?

I guess this isn't the good spellers forum either.

I suppose I could have made the same points without "the boy". It was disrespectful, but then I don't really respect him. He will say whatever is politically expedient.

I will let the rest of my comments stand.

Skippy

7. Jun 5, 2009 #6
    It is quite foolish to come on these forums and state with 'certainty' the president of the united states has his fingers crossed with the hopes that another country gets nuclear weapons to cause war, while calling him 'boy'.

I suggest you get real when posting here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  8. Jun 5, 2009 #7
    Cyrus. Don't get yourself banned again.

I liked what I heard of the speech which wasn't much unfortunately. From what I have heard it had a great impact.

9. Jun 5, 2009 #8
    I would like to see some proofs of what you are claiming, seems that you need a history lesson yourself (I am not going to argue with you but please validate your words with some sort of proof, else state it's your opinion)

10. Jun 5, 2009 #9
    You are confused Jordan, is across the river from Palestine, and it gained it's independence in 1946.

This is a commonly repeated misconception.

Militant Zionists expelled hundreds of thousands of Arabs, Muslims and Christians alike. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus" [Broken].

Some areas weren't ethnically cleansed, but they lived under harsh restrictions of martial law for nearly two decades and with more subtle forms of discrimination since then, and many Israeli-Arabs are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internally_Displaced_Palestinians" [Broken].

Rather, while the 1973 war was a war of aggression started by Arab states, in 1948 Arab nations stepped in an attempt to stop the ethnic cleansing mentioned above, the 1967 war kicked off with Israel bombing Egypt, and of course you skipped over Israel's previous war with Egypt which was initiated by Israelis parachuting into the Sinai in 1956.

All in all, Obama's speech shows a far better understanding of the history than your distorted recount, which makes me somewhat optimistic that unlike previous administrations he will actually work to bring a just and peaceful to this conflict. My only major complaint is that his call for Hamas to renounce violence comes off as rather hypocritical. Perhaps Hamas could meet him half way by vowing to keep their civilian death toll under that of Israel, and that of our own for that matter.

11. Jun 5, 2009 #10

Astronuc

I hope that the contrast between Obama's positive speech and the invective-filled tripe from Ayman al-Zawahiri and bin Laden is obvious to many.

12. Jun 5, 2009 #11
    Ahhh...nice.

Just as the pen can be mightier than the sword, words can be more powerful than bombs. :approve:

13. Jun 5, 2009 #12

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think their strident screeds are more a gauge of their concern that their iceberg is melting. With Pakistan taking a more aggressive stand against the Taliban and Obama appealing to the university students in Cairo with respect and intellectual honesty ... renouncing the past ways that the US has dealt with things ... but not letting any side off with their stunts ... Israeli settlement expansions, Holocaust deniers, Hamas rocketeers, etc. ... I'd say the extremists on several sides in the Middle East have reason to be mighty concerned that the middle ground may become an attractive oasis that will only grow if nurtured and their positions, and hence their existence, will become irrelevant and inconsequential.

14. Jun 5, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nevermind him. What did you think of the speech? What about your friends and family?

15. Jun 5, 2009 #14
    My family, my friends and myself couldn't be happier. Obama's speech was very encouraging and I kept cheering for him as he went on because in my opinion all of his dealings were correct, fair and on the spot. We are very pleased with everything he said/done.

Myself and a couple of my friends are skeptical that all the good talk won't be converted to action and that his appeals would face strong opposition from strong lobby in the US that would stall and prevent the effort. I don't think Obama would find any resistance from our side.

What did you think ? and how did the speech sound for American people?

16. Jun 5, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife and I couldn't be happier. While it is true that we can't solve the problems of the world in a day - or in one or two terms of a US President - it is our hope that Obama has shown the world where the heart of America can be found. Judging by Obama's 60% approval rating, it would seem that many of us are willing to admit where we have been wrong, to accept the failings of others, and move on. In a world where you and I can sit and have a discussion as casually as two friends sitting on a park bench, in world where a black man named Hussein is the US President, it becomes clear that we have entered a new age where the only limits on peace are those that we impose on ourselves.

17. Jun 5, 2009 #16
    It would be an honor for us to help this world become a reality. People here vary in ideologies and backgrounds but we share one thing, intellect. As so, we should be among those with initiatives, among those with open-minded mentality and among those who first conduct the proposed discussions. It is up to us, who were lucky enough to become thinkers and intellects, to try and make this peace work. I believe that it is this attitude that might for last bring peace in a much troubled world. It does sound too idealistic but if we didn't believe this and work for it, then what are we up to?

18. Jun 5, 2009 #17
    The opposition isn't very strong these days....very vocal, but with minimal support. I do hope that the Israeli leaders fall in line though.

I look forward to great progress on many fronts over the next 8 years! :smile:

19. Jun 5, 2009 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

For myself, I'd say he was representing my thinking on the issues. No one's hands are clean. Not even ours. The way forward will require that centuries of stubbornness and strife will be laid to the side. It is unclear how easily hands may be pried from the hilts of their swords with such a cacophony of parochial interests in the area. It will take the determined effort of all of good will to quiet the rhetoric and get to substance.

20. Jun 5, 2009 #19

Astronuc

I'm impatiently waiting for the good deeds/actions.

I hope and expect that Obama will not repeat the bullying of his predecessor.

21. Jun 5, 2009 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

As to cause that is difficult to defend, as a) much of refugee action happened after the Arab attack, and b) it is problematic to tie Arab nation motivation solely to the refugees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook