Object is added to a water filled container, what is the change of pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
basicn3
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Here is the concept I'm struggling to understand: There is a tank filled completely filled with water. If an object is teleported into the tank (not replacing the water but just displacing the water) what is the pressure change.

Volume of tank given
Volume of object given

So I understand that Pressure equals density*depth*gravity and I think it has something to do with using objects volume to calculate the buoyancy force but I am not sure where to go from there
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework problem? It seems to be missing some information like the size of the containter and size of the object. But in either case, there is no buoyancy issue because the way you worded this suggests a sealed container. In that case, you'd have to figure out the volume change versus the compressibility of water.