1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object is added to a water filled container, what is the change of pressure

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    Here is the concept I'm struggling to understand: There is a tank filled completely filled with water. If an object is teleported into the tank (not replacing the water but just displacing the water) what is the pressure change.

Volume of tank given
    Volume of object given

So I understand that Pressure equals density*depth*gravity and I think it has something to do with using objects volume to calculate the buoyancy force but I am not sure where to go from there

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework problem? It seems to be missing some information like the size of the containter and size of the object. But in either case, there is no buoyancy issue because the way you worded this suggests a sealed container. In that case, you'd have to figure out the volume change versus the compressibility of water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook