Observables vs. continuum and metric?

In summary: He suggests reading Landau's "Classical Mechanics" and Ballentine's "Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development" to fully understand this view. In summary, Bill is questioning the assumption that space is continuous in quantum mechanics and suggests further reading to fully understand this concept.
TangledMind
Space in quantum mechanics seems to be modeled as a triplet of real numbers, i.e. a continuum. Same happens in special relativity. General relativity I do not know (nor field theories). And then we apply the Pythagorean theorem and triangle inequality and so forth...

I have a few general questions:

1) Is space (3d or Minkowski) the only continuum?

If a quantum mechanical operator describing an observable has a continuous spectrum (partially at least),
i.e. the observable is allowed to take, in principle, real values,
then is this always an end result of the assumption that space is continuous?
Or are there seemingly continuous observables that are not related to space?

An example: Bound electrons in a hydrogen atom have discrete spectra, both theoretically and experimentally, but free ones have seemingly continuous, and the Coulomb law plays a role there theoretically, and the fact that space would be a continuum.

2) Is it so that based on experiments, space in QM can always be assumed to have locally euclidean metric?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TangledMind said:
Is space (3d or Minkowski) the only continuum?

Of course not. But I am not aware of any models not using it that has been successful.

TangledMind said:
If a quantum mechanical operator describing an observable has a continuous spectrum (partially at least),
i.e. the observable is allowed to take, in principle, real values, then is this always an end result of the assumption that space is continuous? Or are there seemingly continuous observables that are not related to space?

This is tied up with what mechanics is. These days its defined by what transformation you use between reference frames which are assumed to contain a Cartesian 3 dimension coordinate system.

To fully understand this view I suggest two books:

First is Landau - Classical Mechanics
Second is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development.

The symmetry of inertial frames is the key, and those frames by definition have Cartesian coordinate systems with continuous real values.

Thanks
Bill

What is the difference between observables and continuum?

Observables are physical quantities that can be measured or observed, such as mass, velocity, or energy. Continuum refers to a continuous spectrum or range of values, rather than discrete values. In physics, continuum is often used to describe the infinite number of possible values that an observable can take on.

How are observables and continuum related to each other?

Observables and continuum are closely related, as observables are used to describe the properties of a continuum. In other words, observables are the physical quantities that can be used to measure and describe the values within a continuum.

What is the role of metric in describing observables and continuum?

Metric refers to the mathematical framework used to measure and describe observables in a continuum. It provides a way to quantify the distance or difference between different values within a continuum. Without a metric, the concept of observables in a continuum would not be well-defined.

How do observables and continuum relate to the concept of space-time?

Observables and continuum are fundamental concepts in the study of space and time. In physics, space and time are often described as a continuum, with observables being the physical quantities that can be used to measure and describe the properties of this continuum. The metric used to describe observables in a continuum is also a crucial component of understanding the structure of space-time.

Can you give an example of how observables and continuum are used in a scientific context?

An example of how observables and continuum are used in a scientific context is in quantum mechanics. In this field, observables such as energy, momentum, and position are used to describe the properties of a continuum of possible states that a quantum system can occupy. The metric used to quantify the differences between these states is the famous Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that certain pairs of observables cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy.