Observers in Consistent Histories

• Thread starter jms5631
  • Start date
In summary, Hartle argues that the agreement among observers is explained by the fact that most of us are using coarse grainings of a single set of histories constituting the quasiclassical realm.
jms5631
I was reading about the Consistent Histories interpretation, or Super Copenhagen as it is called(though I see more similarity to Everett) when the question of reality in such a scheme was addressed. The answer, I believe by Hartle, was along the lines of this: "The agreement among human observers about what is happening and has happened...this agreement is explained in quantum mechanics by the fact that the great majority of us are using various coarse grainings of a single set of histories consituting the quasiclassical realm."

My question, which may reflect just an ignorance(I'm still just an undergrad) is if observers were using various coarse grainings in a set, wouldn't they be perceiving various histories instead of one which they can agree upon? I don't see how agreement emerges. Just a peculiarity I noticed that's been bothering me, thanks in advance for any responses showing where I go wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that the coarse grain is a quantum-sized coarse grain. ie very very small - about 10 to the minus 35 meters and similar small times.
So histories at the macro size would show no contradiction.
For example, the orbit of Jupiter is consistent as would be its histories whereas the orbit of an electron is not because its in the quantum realm.

jms5631 said:
I was reading about the Consistent Histories interpretation, or Super Copenhagen as it is called(though I see more similarity to Everett) when the question of reality in such a scheme was addressed. The answer, I believe by Hartle, was along the lines of this: "The agreement among human observers about what is happening and has happened...this agreement is explained in quantum mechanics by the fact that the great majority of us are using various coarse grainings of a single set of histories consituting the quasiclassical realm."

My question, which may reflect just an ignorance(I'm still just an undergrad) is if observers were using various coarse grainings in a set, wouldn't they be perceiving various histories instead of one which they can agree upon? I don't see how agreement emerges. Just a peculiarity I noticed that's been bothering me, thanks in advance for any responses showing where I go wrong.

Particles become entangled with the environment and decohere in a single state out of the probability amplitude calculated with the Schroedinger equation. This causes the relative agreement between observers. If you are thinking quantum mechanically about the classical realm, you will fail. This also holds true vice-versa. However, the classical phenomena governed by the Newtonean laws, when viewed quantum mechanically, are essentially deterministic.

Last edited:
Likes EclogiteFacies

What is the concept of Observers in Consistent Histories?

Observers in Consistent Histories is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the role of conscious observers in determining the outcome of quantum events. It suggests that the act of observation collapses the probability wave of a quantum system, leading to a specific outcome.

How do Observers in Consistent Histories differ from classical observers?

Observers in Consistent Histories differ from classical observers in that they are not external to the quantum system, but are an integral part of it. This means that the act of observation is not passive, but actively affects the outcome of the quantum event.

What evidence supports the existence of Observers in Consistent Histories?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of Observers in Consistent Histories. However, the concept is supported by the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, which suggests that observation plays a fundamental role in the measurement of quantum systems.

What are the implications of the concept of Observers in Consistent Histories?

The concept of Observers in Consistent Histories has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the universe. It challenges our traditional view of an objective reality and suggests that our observations and perceptions actively shape the world around us.

Are there any criticisms of the concept of Observers in Consistent Histories?

Yes, there are several criticisms of the concept of Observers in Consistent Histories. Some argue that it is untestable and therefore not a scientific concept. Others suggest that it is a form of anthropocentrism, giving too much significance to human observation in the universe.