Observing M87's spectral of light

• Thread starter bobo1455
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the galaxy M87 was discovered in 1781 and is located 54 million light-years from Earth. It is one of the most massive galaxies in the Universe and contains a black hole 4 billion times more massive than the Sun at its center. By observing the spectrum of M87's light, we can determine the wavelength of the red spectral line of hydrogen. The correct answer is 656 nm, which can be calculated using the Doppler shift formula when taking into account the radial velocity of the object. However, without considering redshift, the wavelength is 659 nm.
bobo1455
The galaxy M87, shown in Figure 15.5, was discovered by Charles Messier in 1781. Located
54 million light-years from Earth, it is one of the most massive galaxies in the Universe,
including a black hole at its centre that is 4 billion times more massive than the Sun. Observing
the spectrum of M87’s light, we detect the spectral pattern of hydrogen. Use this information
to determine the wavelength at which we observe the red spectral line of hydrogen. Show how
you got your answer.

(A) 650 nm
(B) 654 nm
(C) 656 nm
(D) 659 nm
(E) 662 nm

I got 656 nm. My reasoning for picking (C) is that I looked up the wavelength spectrum for Hydrogen in my textbook and for red spectral line in Hydrogen is approximately 656.3 nm, so I assume it is 656 nm for the final answer.

I don't think it has anything to do with redshift and blueshift so I believe my answer is correct, but please correct me if I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, from the data given, strictly speaking, the hydrogen-red line is at 656.2/656.3, so 656 nm is correct.

However, if we take redshift into account, it's 659 nm.

Now, the question says, "to determine the wavelength at which we observe the red spectral line of hydrogen". There's that word there "observe", which creates complications.

How did you get 659 nm? Are you using some form of the Doppler shift formula? I'll try using a re-arranged version of the Doppler Shift formula to solve for one of the wavelengths and maybe that will make more sense to me.

I got it. I re-arranged the doppler shift formula to solve for λshift.

The known variables I need for the formula were λrest, speed of light (c) and the radial velocity of the object.

I got the radial velocity for M87 in my textbook under the Appendix. Then I just plugged in the values and got 659 nm as my final answer.

Thanks for the help!

Your answer is correct. The red spectral line of hydrogen is known as the H-alpha line and has a wavelength of approximately 656.3 nm. This is the most prominent spectral line in the visible spectrum of hydrogen and is commonly used in astronomical observations. The fact that the spectral pattern of hydrogen is detected in M87's light indicates that the galaxy contains large amounts of hydrogen gas, which is a common feature of galaxies. This information also allows us to study the gas dynamics and structure of M87, which can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. Overall, observing the spectral of light from M87 provides valuable information about the galaxy and its properties.

1. What is M87?

M87 is a giant elliptical galaxy located in the constellation Virgo. It is one of the largest and most massive galaxies in the nearby universe.

2. What is a spectral of light?

A spectral of light, also known as a spectrum, is a representation of the different wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by an object. It can provide valuable information about the chemical composition and physical properties of the object.

3. Why is observing M87's spectral of light important?

Observing M87's spectral of light can help us better understand the composition, structure, and evolution of this galaxy. It can also provide insights into the processes occurring within the galaxy, such as star formation and the presence of supermassive black holes.

4. How is M87's spectral of light observed?

M87's spectral of light can be observed using a telescope equipped with a spectrograph, which splits the light from the galaxy into its different wavelengths. The resulting spectrum can then be analyzed to determine the chemical elements present and their relative abundance.

5. What can we learn from M87's spectral of light?

By analyzing M87's spectral of light, we can learn about the chemical composition, temperature, and density of the gas and dust within the galaxy. We can also study the motions of stars and gas, as well as the effects of magnetic fields and other physical processes within M87.