1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves

1. Jun 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves described:
    Circles tangent to the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex](x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to answer this question using the same way I did on a problem very similar to this (Circles with fixed radius r and tangent to the x-axis), but now I'm getting a different answer.
    The answer provided by the book for the problem above is [itex][1+(y')^2]^3 = [yy''+1+(y')^2]^2[/itex]. I have no idea how it's done.

I want to ask the difference between the ways of how to solve these two problems:
    (1) circles tangent to the x-axis.
    (2) circles with fixed radius tangent to the axis.

I can solve question (2) because of the hint that [itex]h=r[/itex], but doing the same with question (1) doesn't seem to work and it's making me crazy already. Please give me some clue on how to solve this one. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't worked it all the way out for 1, but I will get you started. For circles tangent to the x axis, you don't know the point of tangency, call it ##(a,0)## or the radius ##r##. The general equation for that family of circles would be ##(x-a)^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2##. You can differentiate that twice, implicitly with respect to ##x##:$$
    2(x-a) + 2(y-r)y' = 0$$ $$
    2 +2y' + 2(y-r)y'' = 0$$Now your problem becomes using your equations to get rid of the ##r## and ##a##, or maybe easier, get rid of ##(x-a)## and ##y-r## by expressing them in terms of ##y## and its derivatives.

4. Jun 15, 2014 #3
    Thanks! I'll be working on it now. :)

UPDATE: I followed your instructions and had a lot of substitutions. Finally, I got it right! Thank you so much!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  5. Aug 7, 2016 #4
    is the second derivative of the equation's right?

6. Aug 7, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Good catch. Apparently the OP got the idea anyway though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted