Obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves

In summary, the OP tried to solve the problem using the same method as he did on a similar problem, but he is getting a different answer. He needs to use the equations to get rid of the r and a.
Portal.Leaf

Homework Statement

Obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves described:
Circles tangent to the x-axis.

Homework Equations

[itex](x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to answer this question using the same way I did on a problem very similar to this (Circles with fixed radius r and tangent to the x-axis), but now I'm getting a different answer.
The answer provided by the book for the problem above is [itex][1+(y')^2]^3 = [yy''+1+(y')^2]^2[/itex]. I have no idea how it's done.

I want to ask the difference between the ways of how to solve these two problems:
(1) circles tangent to the x-axis.
(2) circles with fixed radius tangent to the axis.

I can solve question (2) because of the hint that [itex]h=r[/itex], but doing the same with question (1) doesn't seem to work and it's making me crazy already. Please give me some clue on how to solve this one. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Portal.Leaf said:

Homework Statement

Obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves described:
Circles tangent to the x-axis.

Homework Equations

[itex](x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to answer this question using the same way I did on a problem very similar to this (Circles with fixed radius r and tangent to the x-axis), but now I'm getting a different answer.
The answer provided by the book for the problem above is [itex][1+(y')^2]^3 = [yy''+1+(y')^2]^2[/itex]. I have no idea how it's done.

I want to ask the difference between the ways of how to solve these two problems:
(1) circles tangent to the x-axis.
(2) circles with fixed radius tangent to the axis.

I can solve question (2) because of the hint that [itex]h=r[/itex], but doing the same with question (1) doesn't seem to work and it's making me crazy already. Please give me some clue on how to solve this one. Thanks a bunch!

I haven't worked it all the way out for 1, but I will get you started. For circles tangent to the x axis, you don't know the point of tangency, call it ##(a,0)## or the radius ##r##. The general equation for that family of circles would be ##(x-a)^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2##. You can differentiate that twice, implicitly with respect to ##x##:$$
2(x-a) + 2(y-r)y' = 0$$ $$
2 +2y' + 2(y-r)y'' = 0$$Now your problem becomes using your equations to get rid of the ##r## and ##a##, or maybe easier, get rid of ##(x-a)## and ##y-r## by expressing them in terms of ##y## and its derivatives.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! I'll be working on it now. :)

UPDATE: I followed your instructions and had a lot of substitutions. Finally, I got it right! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
I haven't worked it all the way out for 1, but I will get you started. For circles tangent to the x axis, you don't know the point of tangency, call it ##(a,0)## or the radius ##r##. The general equation for that family of circles would be ##(x-a)^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2##. You can differentiate that twice, implicitly with respect to ##x##:$$
2(x-a) + 2(y-r)y' = 0$$ $$
2 +2y' + 2(y-r)y'' = 0$$Now your problem becomes using your equations to get rid of the ##r## and ##a##, or maybe easier, get rid of ##(x-a)## and ##y-r## by expressing them in terms of ##y## and its derivatives.
is the second derivative of the equation's right?

Kenyow said:
is the second derivative of the equation's right?
No. Good catch. Apparently the OP got the idea anyway though.

1. What is a plane curve?

A plane curve is a graphical representation of a mathematical function in two-dimensional space. It consists of a set of points that satisfy a specific equation or set of equations.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more derivatives of a function to the function itself. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

3. Why is it important to obtain the differential equation of a plane curve?

Obtaining the differential equation of a plane curve allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of the curve. It can also help us make predictions about the curve and its properties.

4. How do you obtain the differential equation of a family of plane curves?

To obtain the differential equation of a family of plane curves, we first need to identify the parameters that define the family. Then, we use these parameters to express the coordinates of the points on the curve in terms of the parameters. Finally, by differentiating these equations, we can obtain the differential equation of the family of plane curves.

5. Can the differential equation of a plane curve be solved analytically?

In some cases, the differential equation of a plane curve can be solved analytically, meaning that we can find a closed-form solution for the curve. However, in many cases, the equation may not have a closed-form solution and requires numerical methods to solve it.