1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining spherical coordinates by rotations

1. Jul 10, 2013 #1
    Hi

Say I have a point on a unit sphere, given by the spherical coordinate $(r=1, \theta, \phi)$. Is this point equivalent to the point that one can obtain by $(x,y,z)=(1,0,0)$ around the $y$-axis by an angle $\pi/2-\theta$ and around the $z$-axis by the angle $\phi$?

I'm not sure this is the case, since the spherical coordinate $\phi$ is merely a projection, but I would like to hear your opinion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rotation about the y axis through an angle [itex]\pi/2- \theta[/itex] can be calculated by multiplying the position vector of the point by the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\pi/2- \theta) & 0 & -sin(\pi/2- \theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(\pi/2- \theta & 0 & cos(\pi/2- \theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Of course, [tex]cos(\pi/2- \theta)= sin(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]sin(\pi/2- \theta)= cos(\theta)[/tex] so that is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) & 0 & -cos(\theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ cos(\theta) & 0 & sin(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and rotation through angle [itex]\phi[/itex] about the z axis is given by
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & -sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So starting from (1, 0, 0) and rotating as you say, you have
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & -sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) & 0 & -cos(\theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ cos(\theta) & 0 & sin(\theta) \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & - sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) \\ 0 \\ cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Of course, in polar coordinates, [tex]x= cos(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex], [tex]y= sin(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex], [tex]z= cos(\theta)[/tex] is just the usual coordinates with x and y reversed. That is, your two rotations swap the x and y axes.

4. Jul 10, 2013 #3
    The coordinate transformation from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is given by ##(r,\theta,\varphi)\rightarrow(r\sin\theta\cos\varphi,r\sin\theta\sin \varphi,r\cos\theta)##.

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4
    Thanks for your help, yeah, I guess I should just have rotated the coordinate myself to see that indeed that is how a spherical point is obtained. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook