Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: ODE ( 2nd order nonhomogeneous equation)

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By using the method of undetermined coefficients,find the particular solution of
    y''+y'+y=(sin x)^2

2. Relevant equations
    i know how to determine the particular solution IF it is sin x.
    Ex: sin x ====> Asin x + B cos x (particular)

but i wonder how to determine the (sin x)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    i haven't actually seen a problem like this come up, but i think similarly to finding the particular solution to something like lhs=t^2 is A+Bt+Ct^2, it'd be something like:

Asin(x)+Bcos(x)+Ccos^2(x)+Dsin^2(x)

i'm not 100% sure, but i'd try something like that and see if it works out. good luck!

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You can't assume a solution of the form cos2 x or sin2 x because sine or cosine squared are not of the form that gets as solutions to a homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. However, you CAN use a trigonometric identity. Since cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b), taking a= b= x, cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2(x). Replacing cos2(x) by 1- sin2(x), cos(2x)= 1- 2sin2(x) so sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)). Look for a particular solution of the form A+ Bsin(2x)+ Ccos(2x).

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4
    Thx for helping ! i did solve the Q:!!)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook