1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE ( 2nd order nonhomogeneous equation)

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By using the method of undetermined coefficients,find the particular solution of
    y''+y'+y=(sin x)^2

2. Relevant equations
    i know how to determine the particular solution IF it is sin x.
    Ex: sin x ====> Asin x + B cos x (particular)

but i wonder how to determine the (sin x)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    i haven't actually seen a problem like this come up, but i think similarly to finding the particular solution to something like lhs=t^2 is A+Bt+Ct^2, it'd be something like:

Asin(x)+Bcos(x)+Ccos^2(x)+Dsin^2(x)

i'm not 100% sure, but i'd try something like that and see if it works out. good luck!

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't assume a solution of the form cos2 x or sin2 x because sine or cosine squared are not of the form that gets as solutions to a homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. However, you CAN use a trigonometric identity. Since cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b), taking a= b= x, cos(2x)= cos2(x)- sin2(x). Replacing cos2(x) by 1- sin2(x), cos(2x)= 1- 2sin2(x) so sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)). Look for a particular solution of the form A+ Bsin(2x)+ Ccos(2x).

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4
    Thx for helping ! i did solve the Q:!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook