ODE question, appreciate your help

• Thread starter zibb3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about a question related to the equation of a reversible chemical reaction. The equation presented by the person asking for help is deemed correct, but there is confusion about the inclusion of the number "2" in the equation. The responder suggests reframing the equation and using symbols requested by the person asking for help. However, there is a lack of context and further information on the problem is needed to fully understand and address it.
zibb3r
Untitled.png

Can anyone give me a hand with this question? I honestly have no idea how to do it?

I was thinking for d(A)/dt=-d(B)/dt= -k1(A)+k-1(B) because the 2 on both sides cancels out? But this was completely wrong...

Any ideas? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
zibb3r said:
View attachment 62034

Can anyone give me a hand with this question? I honestly have no idea how to do it?

I was thinking for d(A)/dt=-d(B)/dt= -k1(A)+k-1(B) because the 2 on both sides cancels out? But this was completely wrong...

Any ideas? :)

The equation of the most elementary reversible chemical reaction. Your equation is OK. Just use conservation of mass which enables you to get the equation in one dependent variable only.

I don't see the point of the 2 either*. I suggest you reframe it as A ⇔ B with the rate constants half those given.

Since this seems meant to trip students up, I suggest you placate them by using the symbols they ask, a and b.

* Unless by any chance the context suggests they mean a mechanism in which two molecules of A collide and transform into something that rapidly dissociates into two molecules of B, in which case the d.e. would be different. However if you have never done the more elementary one before then are unlikely to mean this.

Last edited:
Thanks but apprantley I have to show it fully as in can't can have it that way/have to show the 2s. Do you have any clue how Id write it that way?

zibb3r said:
Thanks but apprantley I have to show it fully as in can't can have it that way/have to show the 2s. Do you have any clue how Id write it that way?

I can't offer more than
zibb3r said:
I don't see the point of the 2 either*. I suggest you reframe it as A ⇔ B with the rate constants half those given.
plus my *footnote in post.

Sometimes here we have to spend too much time on exegesis, working out what a question could possibly mean. This looks like a printed text, if we saw more of where it came from, e.g. the textbook section, or the section on which it is an exercise, we'd know better what the problem is.

1. What is an ODE (ordinary differential equation)?

An ODE is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used to model physical systems and is an important tool in many fields of science and engineering.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

Solving an ODE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact solution using mathematical methods, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate the solution.

3. What are the applications of ODEs?

ODEs have many applications in science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model systems that involve rates of change, such as population growth, motion, and chemical reactions.

4. What are the differences between ODEs and PDEs?

ODEs (ordinary differential equations) involve derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, while PDEs (partial differential equations) involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to model systems that change over time, while PDEs are used to model systems that change over both space and time.

5. How can I use ODEs in my research?

ODEs can be used to model and analyze a wide range of physical systems, making them a valuable tool in many fields of research. To use ODEs in your research, you will need to have a good understanding of the relevant mathematical concepts and choose appropriate methods for solving the equations.