Is Your Nose a Reliable Detector for Food Safety?

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
In summary: The sense of smell can vary a lot with genetics. Some people are much better smellers than others, and we're all pretty terrible compared to most other animals. I would agree that it's better to err on the side of caution, unless you're about to die of starvation.
mugaliens
Article: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/is-gulf-seafood-safe-to-eat-the-nose-knows/19577398"

Wow. Ever since survival school, I've been somewhat ignoring the dates on various items, trusting my nose, but have still erred on the side of science (if it's past the due date, it's out). Over the years, my nose has confirmed the fact the dates usually err on the conservative side, and on a few occasions, my nose has failed to err on the side of trouble (meaning I didn't see things coming). Now modern science is confirming that my multi-million-year-developed sense of smell is worth something after all?

This morning, I threw out six fantastic-looking breakfast steaks which had but the slightest whiff of "eh..?" After all - what's $18 among friends? Thankfully, we grillled new steaks instead. The eggs were just fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
mugaliens said:
Article: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/is-gulf-seafood-safe-to-eat-the-nose-knows/19577398"

Wow. Ever since survival school, I've been somewhat ignoring the dates on various items, trusting my nose, but have still erred on the side of science (if it's past the due date, it's out). Over the years, my nose has confirmed the fact the dates usually err on the conservative side, and on a few occasions, my nose has failed to err on the side of trouble (meaning I didn't see things coming). Now modern science is confirming that my multi-million-year-developed sense of smell is worth something after all?

This morning, I threw out six fantastic-looking breakfast steaks which had but the slightest whiff of "eh..?" After all - what's $18 among friends? Thankfully, we grillled new steaks instead. The eggs were just fine

Yep, the nose is an impressive little nubbin of brain, but I agree that to err on the side of caution is wise. Short of actually dying, food poisoning is the worst... I mean... the one time I had it I thought, "I don't want to die, but if this is going to kill me let me die NOW, and not have this go on!

Last edited by a moderator:
The sense of smell can vary a lot with genetics. Some people are much better smellers than others, and we're all pretty terrible compared to most other animals. I would agree that it's better to err on the side of caution, unless you're about to die of starvation.

Expiration dates should be viewed with some healthy skepticism. They're based on the average time it takes for the food to spoil since the date it was packaged. This is also assuming the lot wasn't contaminated in the first place. Food that doesn't smell bad can still make you sick, like ground beef contaminated with E. coli. Other foods that do smell a bit ripe may be perfectly fine to eat, like many cheeses.

In regards to the gulf, don't many of the animals also have a sense of smell? Humans aren't the only picky eaters of the animal kingdom.

Edit: It would probably be better to say "sense of taste" when referring to aquatic animals.

Last edited:
Skrambles said:
The sense of smell can vary a lot with genetics. Some people are much better smellers than others, and we're all pretty terrible compared to most other animals. I would agree that it's better to err on the side of caution, unless you're about to die of starvation.

Expiration dates should be viewed with some healthy skepticism. They're based on the average time it takes for the food to spoil since the date it was packaged. This is also assuming the lot wasn't contaminated in the first place. Food that doesn't smell bad can still make you sick, like ground beef contaminated with E. coli. Other foods that do smell a bit ripe may be perfectly fine to eat, like many cheeses.

In regards to the gulf, don't many of the animals also have a sense of smell? Humans aren't the only picky eaters of the animal kingdom.

Edit: It would probably be better to say "sense of taste" when referring to aquatic animals.

They certainly do, but they may well not say to themselves, "that smells like aromatic hydrocarbons, I'm not eating that crab!"

In all seriousness, this article highlights the important role of science in keeping us safe and healthy. While our senses, like smell, can be helpful in detecting potential dangers, it is ultimately the scientific research and testing that confirms the safety of our food and environment. As scientists, it is our responsibility to continue studying and understanding how our bodies and the world around us work, and to use that knowledge to make informed decisions and protect ourselves and others. So, while our noses may give us a heads up, let's not forget the importance of science in keeping us safe.

1. What does "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" mean?

"Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" is a play on words that means "nobody knows, what I know". It is often used to express a sense of mystery or secret knowledge.

2. Where does the phrase "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" come from?

The phrase is a variation of the common saying "nobody knows, but me". It is believed to have originated as a pun on the word "nose" and has been used in various forms of media, such as literature and music.

3. Is there a deeper meaning behind "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose"?

The phrase can have different interpretations based on context, but in general, it can be seen as a way of expressing a sense of exclusivity or superiority in knowledge. It can also be used humorously or ironically.

4. Can "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" be used in a scientific context?

While the phrase may not have a direct correlation to scientific concepts, it can be used in a scientific context to express a sense of mystery or unknown knowledge. For example, a scientist may say "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" when discussing a new and groundbreaking discovery.

5. How can "Oh, nobody nose, what I nose" be applied in everyday life?

The phrase can be used in everyday life to express a feeling of having knowledge or information that others do not. It can also be used in a playful manner among friends or colleagues. However, it is important to use it in an appropriate and respectful manner, as it can also come across as arrogant or condescending.