1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ohmic Resistor modelling ?(Check my interpretation of question)

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/Resistor.png [Broken]

For the first bit first I solved the equation

[tex] \frac{dI}{dt}=\frac{U-RI}{L} [/tex]

[tex] I(t)=\frac{U-C_2e^{\frac{-t}{L}}}{R} [/tex]

Now I put in T(0)=0 to work out the constant and I got

[tex] I(t)=\frac{U-Ue^{\frac{-t}{L}}}{R} [/tex]

Now here's the dodgy bit, I did not do physics in my final years at school so I no clue what an "Ohmic Resistor" is but here is my interpretation of the question

[tex] I(t)=\frac{75U}{100R} [/tex]

Working that out I got

[tex] t = -L log(0.25) [/tex]

Now for the final part:

My interpretation was that the maximum saturation level was U/R=200/50=4

So I worked out:

[tex] I(t)= 3.5 [/tex]

Which gave me t=90.31

Does what I have done make sense cause I don't know much "higher level" physics so am just working from logic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

an ohmic resistor satisfies U=IR, so what you've done seems reasonable, though I haven't checked your numbers

one thing though, its always good practice to differentiate you solution, in this case I(t), and make sure it satisfies the original DE. I would recommend that check as usually the time constant in the exponential would depend on both R and L

Also you really need to know if they are in series or parallel, though it's implied by the DE..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook