Oily substance on basement blocks

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary: Possibility. There's a reason "saw snot" is jargon for the slurry that comes off a water cooled diamond blade in concrete. Awful stuff. And it can indeed develop a soapy or oily feel on a surface. Dangerous when that surface is what you're standing on.
I had some nice rainfall the past few days. I look into basement and see a shimmer on several blocks. Looks like water but when I touch it and rub it between my fingers it's more like a chemical oil feel. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1457466234.083980.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
:oldconfused:

I'm rooting for paint. Oil paint bleeding. Maybe someone will know better. :oldsmile:

Try dabbing it with a piece of white paper. If it's oil, once it dries the oil will stay behind and make a stain. Might be useful to help identify what it actually is. The colour might also be indicative.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Pepper Mint
Gypsum "cooks" from blocks. Powdery?

Silt maybe? This has happened to me in the past, the particulates in the silt were very fine, and combined with how cold the basement usually was it would usually feel like a viscous fluid when touching them.

Does the basement smell earthy, like fresh dirt? It could also be mildew if that's the case, judging by the color on those blocks where they were wet.

Bystander said:
Gypsum "cooks" from blocks. Powdery?
No oily

I'm getting a basement guy to take a look next week.

jack476 said:
Does the basement smell earthy, like fresh dirt?

Not much, I have a humidifier running now

It's not the side of the house that used to have the fuel oil barrel sitting outside of it at one time is it?

krater said:
It's not the side of the house that used to have the fuel oil barrel sitting outside of it at one time is it?
No, street side

krater said:
I was wondering the same thing, there are many bitumen based waterproofing products on the market used on the exterior of foundations that could explain the oily residue also. There are many factors to consider such as age of foundation, type of building material used, possible groundwater contamination, it looks like some kind of water sealant was applied to the interior of the foundation wall so there may be a history of problems with seepage. You may want to consider having a sample of the residue tested chemically to see what your dealing with. (there is a lot of scary stuff in ground water depending on your location) I would also get several estimates/bids from reliable contractors and compare prices if your going to have a contractor do the sealing.

Hah, this just reminded me of stories I've heard of old farmers and what they often did with their waste oil. Cheaper than roundup and worked just as well to keep the weeds down around the buildings...

Likes 1oldman2
Greg Bernhardt said:
I had some nice rainfall the past few days. I look into basement and see a shimmer on several blocks. Looks like water but when I touch it and rub it between my fingers it's more like a chemical oil feel. Any ideas?
It would be a good time to get a microscope and look at a sample.

Could it be a slime mold, or otherwise, Latex-based paint?

Likes 1oldman2
Astronuc said:
It would be a good time to get a microscope and look at a sample.

Could it be a slime mold, or otherwise, Latex-based paint?
So many possibilities, some of them serious, some merely annoying. The testing idea is a very good idea especially since basements tend to collect contaminants.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Greg, did you check your TCP/IP settings yet? o0)

256bits said:
It could be an alkali solution moving to the surface - what you feel may not be oily but rather the slippery feel of an alkali.

Possibility. There's a reason "saw snot" is jargon for the slurry that comes off a water cooled diamond blade in concrete. Awful stuff. And it can indeed develop a soapy or oily feel on a surface. Dangerous when that surface is what you're standing on.

1. What causes an oily substance to appear on basement blocks?

The most common cause of an oily substance appearing on basement blocks is the presence of moisture or water in the basement. This moisture can come from a variety of sources, such as high humidity, leaking pipes, or groundwater seeping through the walls.

2. Is the oily substance harmful to my health?

In most cases, the oily substance on basement blocks is not harmful to your health. However, if the substance has a strong odor or if you have respiratory issues, it is best to wear a mask and gloves when handling it and to ventilate the area well.

3. How can I remove the oily substance from my basement blocks?

The best way to remove oily substance from basement blocks is by using an absorbent material, such as kitty litter or sawdust, to soak up the excess moisture. You can then use a mixture of warm water and mild detergent to scrub the affected area and rinse it with clean water. It may also be helpful to use a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity in the basement.

4. Can the presence of an oily substance on basement blocks indicate a larger issue?

Yes, the presence of an oily substance on basement blocks can indicate a larger issue, such as a leaky pipe or high levels of moisture in the basement. It is important to address these issues to prevent further damage to your basement and home.

5. How can I prevent the appearance of an oily substance on my basement blocks in the future?

To prevent the appearance of an oily substance on basement blocks, it is important to address any sources of excess moisture in the basement. This may include repairing any leaks, using a dehumidifier, and ensuring proper ventilation. Regularly inspecting and maintaining your basement can also help prevent this issue from occurring.