Sodium hypochlorate has formed a dark brown precipitate?

• Thread starter ChromeBit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the conversation revolves around a solution of sodium hypochlorate that was boiled down to create a light brown powder. However, upon further examination, it was found to have turned into a darker brown powder with a soil-like texture. There is confusion about the chemicals involved, with one person mentioning sodium chlorate and another mentioning hypochlorite. It is ultimately determined that hypochlorite is the starting material and the oxidizing agent. The question of what is getting reduced remains unclear.
ChromeBit
I boiled a solution of sodium hypochlorate down to make what I thought was sodium chloride and sodium chlorate - a light brown coloured powder.

However, this evening when I looked at it again it had formed a darker brown powder that was almost like soil with a few white clumps here and there. The way it clumps together almost makes it appear wet, but I'm pretty sure it isn't because when I touch it it feels dry.

Any ideas what's happened here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you sure there were no contaminants in the solution? In general all salts involved are just white.

You mean hypochlorite, maybe?

What material did you boil it down in?
DrDu said:
You mean hypochlorite, maybe?

If he meant that, then chlorate is three oxidation states higher. Where is the oxidizing agent?

Kevin McHugh said:
Where is the oxidizing agent?

It is there. It is called hypochlorite.

ChromeBit said:
I boiled a solution of sodium hypochlorate down to make what I thought was sodium chloride and sodium chlorate - a light brown coloured powder.

What is hypochlorate? I think hypochlorite is his starting material.

Yes, this is most likely a typo (actually quite a common error), and the solution contains hypochlorite. And the hypochlorite is the oxidizing agent.

Borek said:
Yes, this is most likely a typo (actually quite a common error), and the solution contains hypochlorite. And the hypochlorite is the oxidizing agent.

OK then what is getting reduced?

Hypochlorite as well.

1. What is sodium hypochlorite?

Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaClO. It is commonly used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent.

2. Why has sodium hypochlorite formed a dark brown precipitate?

The dark brown precipitate is most likely formed due to the decomposition of sodium hypochlorite, resulting in the formation of chlorate and chloride ions. This can occur when the solution is exposed to heat, light, or other reactive substances.

3. Is the dark brown precipitate dangerous?

The dark brown precipitate may not necessarily be dangerous, but it is an indication that the sodium hypochlorite solution has undergone a chemical change and is no longer effective as a disinfectant. It is important to properly dispose of the solution and avoid exposure to skin or eyes.

4. How can I prevent the formation of a dark brown precipitate in sodium hypochlorite solutions?

To prevent the formation of a dark brown precipitate, it is important to store sodium hypochlorite solutions in a cool, dark place and avoid exposing them to reactive substances. It is also important to follow proper dilution and storage instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can the dark brown precipitate be reversed?

In most cases, the dark brown precipitate cannot be reversed. However, it is possible to neutralize the solution and dispose of it properly. It is important to consult a professional or follow proper disposal guidelines to ensure safety and environmental protection.