OJ Simpson Trial: 10 Year Anniversary Lookback and Discussion

• Thread starter Raven
  • Start date
In summary, despite the controversy, people are still split on whether OJ Simpson was guilty or innocent. Frontline on PBS recently revisited the issue providing historical footage of the broadcasted trial, revisiting the evidence, and interviewing people today to find out if our point of view has changed. The results showed that people are still split on whether OJ Simpson was guilty or innocent, but there are some blacks who admit they thought he was guilty but still believe he deserves freedom.

I think OJ Simpson is

• innocent

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • guilty of murder

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • guilty of murder but deserves to be free

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Raven
It's the 10 year anniversary of the OJ Simpson trial. The controversy over this historical trial's outcome has not yet subsided and I wonder if it ever will. Frontline on PBS recently revisited the issue providing historical footage of the broadcasted trial, revisiting the evidence, and interviewing people today to find out if our point of view has changed.

The results showed that people are still split on whether OJ Simpson was guilty or innocent. I was in college at the time of the trial and I was aware of the racial implications of OJ Simpsons arrest. Many in the black community felt he was a scapegoat and was targeted because of his color. Some interviewed on the show felt that if the jury was white (majority of the jury was black) then OJ Simpson would have been convicted guilty. The point of view that blacks felt they were victims of the law was not surprising to me. You don't need to be a black male to realize that the color of one's skin creates a biased suspicion guilt and innocence in our society.

What surprised me, however, was that there were blacks who admitted on the show that they thought OJ Simpson was guilty, yet they believed he deserved his innocent verdict. I now question whether there were others who felt this way and wonder why they felt his freedom was the right choice. I understand that rich white males are also likely to go free with the quality of lawyers they are capable of hiring. But in my mind that doesn't mean they deserve to be free.

I just wanted to post a survey and discuss the results on this historical event in our judicial system. In your opinion was OJ innocent or was he guilty? If you thought he was guilty, did he nevertheless deserve freedom?

I personally thought he was guilty based on the evidence and the violent history of his relationship. If you thought he was guilty, why do you think the jury saw him as innocent (I am presuming they really thought he was innocent).

Physics news on Phys.org
If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit.

"Guilty but deserves to be free"?

Well, I think he is guilty; that doesn't mean that I think the COURT had sufficient evidence to convict him.
The distinction between the court and myself is that I do not have the power to inflict the loss of freedom upon OJ, whereas the court does have that power.
I think the evidence is good enough for me to form an opinion on this, it was not good enough to satisfy the rigorous demands we must place upon it within the court-room.

1. Who is OJ Simpson?

OJ Simpson is a former American football player, broadcaster, and actor who was accused and acquitted of the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman in 1994.

2. When did the OJ Simpson trial take place?

The OJ Simpson trial took place from January 24, 1995 to October 3, 1995.

3. What was the outcome of the OJ Simpson trial?

OJ Simpson was found not guilty of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman by a jury on October 3, 1995.

4. What was the significance of the OJ Simpson trial?

The OJ Simpson trial was widely publicized and considered one of the most controversial and highly publicized trials in American history. It also brought attention to issues of race, domestic violence, and media influence on the legal system.

5. How has the OJ Simpson trial impacted society since its conclusion?

The OJ Simpson trial has had a lasting impact on society, sparking discussions about race, domestic violence, and the role of the media in trials. It also led to changes in the legal system, such as the use of DNA evidence and the creation of the Victims' Rights Amendment.