Okay have learnt alot about torque in general by getting help here, so

In summary, the speaker has learned a lot about torque and has a good intuition for it using energy considerations. However, they still struggle to understand it in the static case and have narrowed down their confusion to the transmission of force between internal parts of an object. They are questioning what makes the internal forces more effective at rotating the object when the force is applied at a greater distance from the rotational axis. This concept can be compared to the way a projected picture appears bigger the further away the screen is.
aaaa202
Okay have learned a lot about torque in general by getting help here, so I thought I'd just a ask a liiittle more about what wonders me.

Because I can see what motivates the definition of torque mathematically but as said earlier still find it hard to understand in terms of other quantities from mechanics such as force, energy etc. - maybe torque isn't something you understand like force isn't really something you understand...?

Nevertheless I got a good intuition for it using energy considerations but still don't quite get it in the static case.
I've narrowed my search about what I basically don't get to the following:
When you exert a force on an object you would expect it to somehow to transmit between the internal parts of the objects to a series of small forces but alle these small forces can always be traced back to the net force. So the same force will transmit between the small objects of the body in the case where u apply a force in a radius of r and 2r from the rotational axis. If this is true, what is it then that makes the internal forces in the 2nd case more effective at rotation the object?

Physics news on Phys.org

geometry.

It's the same thing that makes a projected picture bigger the further away the screen is.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. What are some real-life examples of torque?

Some examples of torque in everyday life include turning a doorknob, opening a jar lid, and using a wrench to tighten a bolt. In sports, torque is also involved in activities such as throwing a ball or swinging a golf club.

4. How does torque relate to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. The greater the torque applied to an object, the more it will rotate. This is why a heavier object requires more torque to rotate than a lighter object.

5. How can torque be increased?

Torque can be increased by increasing either the force applied or the distance from the axis of rotation. For example, using a longer wrench to tighten a bolt will increase the torque applied to the bolt. Additionally, changing the direction of the force can also increase torque, as seen in the use of gears in machinery.