Old scar still be there after it heals or will ur skin be new again?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary,There is a chance that a new cut will leave a scar, but it depends on the size and how long it takes to heal.
decibel
say u fall off ur bike or something, and cut ur arm, and while the cut is healing, u keep picking the scabs, and thus leaving a scar

ok after the scar is there,

say u fall down off your bike again, and on the same spot where this scar is, and this time u don't pick the scabs, will the old scar still be there after it heals or will ur skin be new again?

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends, I'm not sure. But there are certain products that help the healing of the skin and prevent scarring. Mederma supposedly has a proven formulation, it must contain some growth factors to promote healthy skin growth.

IF the new injury completely removes all scar tissue, then you would have a chance of healing with no (or little) scarring- that's essentially what plastic surgeons do. However, if the original scar was at all noticeable, I suspect that the new wound would be have to be large enough that you would need medical attention (stitches) so that the new wound would not leave a scar.

I do hope that you are not planning a bicycle "accident" in hopes of removing a scar- sounds a little to much like "do-it-yourself surgery" for me.

haha nooooo, i just have a small scar about the size of a marbel on my left arm, near my forearm...and i hate it, so...i'll probably just slowly cut myself or something lol...im weird

"i'll probably just slowly cut myself or something"

oh, much better...

Amputation would be the better path.

There's no guarantee you won't get a scar without picking at the scab. I think the whole scab-picking will give you a scar is just an old wive's tale type thing. However, picking at the scab increases the likelihood you'll get bacteria under the protective covering of the scab and get an infection, which usually does leave a scar, or a bigger scar anyway.

Does anyone know if there's a relationship between age and being prone to scarring? When I was a kid, I used to get into all sorts of scrapes, and never had scars from it. Now that I'm older (I refuse to say how much older), if I so much as scratch a mosquito bite, I get a scar.

Decibel, cutting yourself sounds like a really bad idea! If it bothers you that much, just hang on until you can afford plastic surgery and have a professional handle it!

(I refuse to say how much older)
awh, common, we won't tell anyone! :wink: :biggrin:

Children definitely are better at regenerating tissues, whether this lies in the plasticity of tissues or actually the number of stem cells that are able to migrate towards sites of injury is something of great interest.

What are you guys like 25? Monique doesn't look a day over 20.

in two months time I'll be a year older than you

Correction - you'll be three months older than me.

I already am, ain't I :wink:

Scars - the pain only lasts a little while, but the memories live forever.

The scar on my finger where I stuck my hand in the lawn mower and sliced it lengthwise to the bone ( I look at that and think, "My, that could have been much worse")

The two scars between my fingers where I hung from a 8' chain link fence. (That couldn't have been much worse - that was no fun at all.)

The little circle between my eyes where I charged the hill and ran into the barrel of a friend's air gun. (That could have been much worse, too)

The scar above my lip from the ice cube fight in the back yard. (It was still fun)

loseyourname said:
What are you guys like 25? Monique doesn't look a day over 20.

Yeah, sure, that's the ticket. I'll go with that number..LOL! I'm at that wonderful age where I'm still young enough to do the wild stuff and old enough to know better.

What about scars from picking at spots??

theres no way to get rid of a scar is there?...i'v read about products that REDUCE scar appeareance but haven't found anything about removal

Plastic surgery removes scars only. You can try the products that reduce the appearance, ask at a pharmacy for the best product.

Calling scar-removal processes "surgery" is a little midleading. Laser procedures and dermabrasions and such sting a little, but they are non-invasive.

Question : True or False?

The bigger the wound/cut is and the longer it takes to heal, the greater the chance there will be a scar.

Related to Old scar still be there after it heals or will ur skin be new again?

1. Will old scars ever completely disappear?

No, old scars will never completely disappear. They will fade over time, but the skin will still have a visible mark or indentation where the scar once was.

2. How long does it take for a scar to heal completely?

The healing process for a scar can vary depending on the size and severity of the wound. Generally, it can take up to 2 years for a scar to fully heal, but it may continue to change and improve for several years after that.

3. Can I do anything to make scars heal faster?

While there is no guaranteed way to make scars heal faster, there are some steps you can take to promote healing. These include keeping the wound clean and moisturized, avoiding picking or scratching at the scar, and protecting it from sun exposure.

4. Will a scar always look different from the surrounding skin?

Yes, a scar will always look different from the surrounding skin. Scars form when the skin is damaged and heals itself by producing collagen, which is a different type of tissue than the rest of the skin.

5. Can scars be removed completely?

There is no way to completely remove a scar, but there are treatments available that can help minimize its appearance. These include laser therapy, chemical peels, and surgical procedures such as scar revision.