Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(?) on creating a see through monitor and keyboard?

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    Could this be done and how hard would it be to do?
    I'm always hungry for see through for see through things like I have a see through usb hub and a see through prison tv that i got while yard-saling.
    I saw a this video on YouTube-(DIY transparent see through (Holographic) LCD screen). It showed me how to but the monitors lighting was crappy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are LCD/touchscreens that are see-through ... it's a film on glass.
    Quality depends a great deal on lighting but these products already exist.

4. Jul 29, 2012 #3
    Ten or twenty years ago there were LCD panels you would connect to your computer and lay on top of overhead projectors so you could display what was on your computer screen to a whole class. Those were completely see through, except for the plastic frame holding it. Maybe you could find one of those cheap if you searched. If you put a modest light behind that panel it might look like a transparent monitor.

Or Google for
    cheap video projector
    and find one that is in your price range. Build a transparent screen or box from acrylic with one side "frosted" and use the projector to put the image onto that side.

Or if you want to go steampunk, Google for
    mechanical television
    and build a motorized spinning mirror to sweep a beam of laser light across the surface of your transparent box, but for authentic steampunk you would need to use frosted glass rather than acrylic. You would also need someone with some electronics background to build the circuitry to translate the vga signal to laser output.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook