Help with making a device (cheap media hub)

• Thread starter sneaky666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, it is not possible to play HD videos on a tv using the usb port. You would need to connect the pc to the tv with hdmi or vga.
sneaky666
Where would i start to create a cheap device that has a usb input and usb output, the device when plugged in a tv (that doesn't play video files from a plugged in usb) and another usb with a video file, plugged in the other side of the device, will allow the tv to read it and play the video file, just like how a media hub works. The device should be able to decode the video file and stream the output to the tv, since the tv doesn't support playing videos.
The tv i am using is a samsung hdtv lcd LN52A550P3F if your curious to know.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want...a computer. The problem you will run into if you try to create a 'custom solution' is that the majority of video files you need to decode will only have decoders written for the X86 or X64 instruction set - meaning you will need a common processor anyhow. On top of that, most videos require a ton of power to decode in real time.

My recommendation is to look into small and cheap computers. I've seen some that are small enough to fit in electrical boxes. You could start by looking at mini-ITX computers, and installing a version of linux with media center software. You could write a script to auto-play from any USB drive that gets plugged in.

Last edited:
What makes you think, that you can get the tv to play video data being delivered on the usb port?

so its not possible at all?

It is not possible using the usb port of the tv, since the manual says that the usb connector is for playing mp3s and pictures, but not movies. It is certainly possible the way King nothing described it. But then you have to connect the video card of the pc to the dvi or vga or composite port of the tv. You can try your luck with this, but it might be too slow:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

is it possible to modify a device that can play hd videos to have a hdmi input, to connect to a tv?

What if i use a camcorder that has an hdmi input, and sd card input, then is it possible to play a video file from the sd card on the camcorder, which then gets transferred to the tv though hdmi? Can this work?

Are you confusing input and output? You need hdmi output!

Modifying will work only when very few changes are needed. Otherwise running a small computer is your best option. Why don't you just by a La Cinema Classic HD by LaCie and be done with it?

1. What is a media hub and why do I need one?

A media hub is a device that allows you to access and stream various forms of media, such as movies, music, and TV shows, from different sources onto your TV or other devices. It also allows you to organize and manage your media collection in one central location. Having a media hub simplifies the process of accessing and enjoying your favorite media content.

2. How much does it cost to make a media hub?

The cost of making a media hub can vary depending on the specific features and components you want to include. However, with the advancement of technology and availability of affordable components, it is possible to create a media hub at a relatively low cost. It is important to research and compare prices of different components to ensure you stay within your budget.

3. What components do I need to make a media hub?

The components needed for a media hub may vary depending on your specific needs and preferences. However, some essential components include a media player, a storage device, a power source, and an operating system. You may also need additional peripherals such as a remote control or a keyboard for navigation.

4. Can I customize my media hub to fit my needs?

Yes, one of the advantages of making your own media hub is the ability to customize it according to your specific needs. You can choose the components and features that best suit your media consumption habits and budget. Furthermore, you can also add or remove components as your needs change over time.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a media hub?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making a media hub to avoid any potential hazards. Make sure to follow the instructions and guidelines provided by the component manufacturers. Also, ensure that all components are properly connected and secured to prevent any accidents. If you are not familiar with electronics, it is best to seek assistance from a professional or someone with experience in building electronic devices.