1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Taylor Series Expansion and Complex Integrals

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to understand how to use Taylor series expansion as a method to solve complex integrals. I would appreciate someone looking over my thoughts on this. I don't know if they are right or wrong or how they could be improved. I suppose that my issue is that I don't feel confident in my solution because it is so abstract and I don't have anything to justify my answer with in the real world...

Say I want to solve [itex]\oint_C \frac{\sin z}{z^2} dz[/itex] where C is the unit circle. I do a Taylor series expansion and get:
    [itex]\frac{1}{z^2} [ \frac{1}{1!}z-\frac{1}{3!}z^3+ \frac{1}{5!}z^5-\ldots] = \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{3!}z+ \frac{1}{5!}z^3-\ldots[/itex]

My next step in reasoning is that I can use the Cauchy Integral Theorem on all the terms except [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex]; in other words, these terms are all equivalent to 0.

I only need to use the Cauchy Integral Formula on the first term. This gives the solution of [itex] 2 \pi i [/itex].

Is this a proper / appropriate rationale? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, that's right.

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I feel better about doing this now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook