Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On what does temperature depend ?

1. Dec 31, 2015 #1
    Does temperature depend on the kinetic energy, or internal energy ??
    Does it only depend on the movement of the molecules, or also the potential energy of molecules??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

What have you already found by searching? You'll get better answers if you tell us more about what you already know.

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3
    What I found when I google this question :
    "Temperature is the measurement of the average kinetic energy of particles, not just their speed. Recall that kinetic energy depends on mass as well as speed. Particles in a metal doorknob do not move as fast as particles in air."

Internal Energy = Kinetic energy of the molecules + Potential energy of the molecules
    So, does this mean it only depend on the kinetic energy which is in the internal energy ??
    I thought it's because the collision between molecules that dissipates some heat.
    Then, what if a man run very fast? Will the temperature increase? Moving man doesn't mean that the particle move faster, right? (maybe)

5. Jan 1, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

its more than just the collision of molecules ... go even smaller

think of all the things happening in the human body in such a circumstance .... what do you think they are ?

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook