1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One more thing with motion problem

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    I'm referring to the same problem as before: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=107835

But now my question is how do I figure out parts c and e? My textbook says to just take the slope of the position-time curve. But if t = 1 in part c, how do I setup the slope? It'll just be something over 1, or that something. My problem is if I take the slope of the change in position over 1, I just get my answer to part a again, the average velocity or 71.3. I'm stuck. Please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

eep

the instantaneous velocity function is given by the time-derivative of the position function.

do you have an expression for the velocity at some time t?

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    So does that mean that I take the derivative of x = 2.30^5 and plug in 1s and 2s, respectively for parts c and e?

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4

eep

yup! and the function for instantaneous acceleration is the time-derivative of the velocity function. One could also take the slope of the position function at t=1.0, since that's what the formula for the instantaneous velocity is giving you.

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5
    Thanks! So basically..

For the instantaneous velocity take the first derivative, and for the instantaneous acceleration take the second derivative? (Of x = 2.30t^5)

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

eep

Correct. Of *any* position function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?