One more try at epsilon-delta limits

• Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the proof for the limit of 3x^2 - 1 as x approaches 5 being equal to 74 involves finding a value for delta in terms of epsilon and defining a constant C, but it is only necessary to show that C exists. The proof may seem vague, especially for someone unfamiliar with mathematical proofs.
KiwiKid

Homework Statement

Prove that lim[x->5] 3x^2 - 1 = 74

Homework Equations

Epsilon-delta stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so first we have to find delta in terms of epsilon, and this is particularly sucky because it's a nonlinear function. Here's my attempt:

|3x^2 - 1 - 74| = |3||x - 5||x + 5| < ε → |x - 5||x + 5| < ε/3
Define C > |x + 5| → |x + 5||x - 5| < C|x - 5|
Define |x - 5| < ε/(3C) = δ

Now we have to find an actual value for C, so let's put a boundary of 1 on δ:

|x - 5| < 1 → |x + 5| < 11
C = 11

Now here's my attempt at the actual proof:

Let ε > 0, δ=min{1, ε/(3C)}=min{1, ε/33}
|3x^2 - 75| = |3||x + 5||x - 5| < 3 * 11 * ε/(3C) = 33 * ε/33 = ε
Therefore |x - 5| < δ implies |(3x^2 - 1) - 74| < ε
Ergo lim[x->5] 3x^2 - 1 = 74

Does that sound about right? I have the feeling that my proof might be missing a few bits. I also don't completely understand why I have to say δ=min{1, ε/33}. I suppose there's a specific reason δ=ε/33 won't work, but I don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you "need to find" a value for C? Showing that C exists is sufficient.

HallsofIvy said:
Why do you "need to find" a value for C? Showing that C exists is sufficient.

*scratches head* Now that you mention it, I don't know. I take it I don't need to know a value for C because it ends up as 3*|x + 5||x - 5| < 3*C*ε/C, where the C's cancel each other out?

But, uhm, I don't really know. As I've said in a few posts before this one, I'm very unfamiliar with mathematical proofs, as most of what I've done before was of the 'just plug in numbers'-kind. I tried to do this as close to the book (Stewart's Calculus) as I could. I find it all very vague. On the one hand you need to *find* numbers, but on the other people keep talking about how you simply *define* all constants to mean I-don't-know-what.

What is an epsilon-delta limit?

An epsilon-delta limit is a mathematical concept used in calculus to define the behavior of a function at a specific point. It is a precise way of describing how close a function gets to a particular limit as the input approaches a certain value.

Why is it important to understand epsilon-delta limits?

Epsilon-delta limits are essential for understanding the fundamental concepts of calculus, including continuity, derivatives, and integrals. They also play a crucial role in mathematical proofs and problem-solving.

How do you determine the epsilon-delta limit of a function?

The epsilon-delta limit of a function can be determined by setting a specific value for epsilon (ε) and then finding an appropriate value for delta (δ) that satisfies the limit definition. This process involves using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.

What is the difference between a left-sided and a right-sided epsilon-delta limit?

A left-sided epsilon-delta limit is when the input approaches the limit value from the left side, while a right-sided epsilon-delta limit is when the input approaches the limit value from the right side. The main difference between these two is the direction of the approaching input and the corresponding value of delta.

Are there any limitations to using epsilon-delta limits?

While epsilon-delta limits are a powerful tool in calculus, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they can only be used to evaluate limits at a specific point, and not for functions that have a discontinuity at the point. Additionally, finding the epsilon-delta limit can be challenging for some functions, requiring advanced mathematical techniques.