1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One more try at epsilon-delta limits

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that lim[x->5] 3x^2 - 1 = 74

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon-delta stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so first we have to find delta in terms of epsilon, and this is particularly sucky because it's a nonlinear function. Here's my attempt:

|3x^2 - 1 - 74| = |3||x - 5||x + 5| < ε → |x - 5||x + 5| < ε/3
    Define C > |x + 5| → |x + 5||x - 5| < C|x - 5|
    Define |x - 5| < ε/(3C) = δ

Now we have to find an actual value for C, so let's put a boundary of 1 on δ:

|x - 5| < 1 → |x + 5| < 11
    C = 11

Now here's my attempt at the actual proof:

Let ε > 0, δ=min{1, ε/(3C)}=min{1, ε/33}
    |3x^2 - 75| = |3||x + 5||x - 5| < 3 * 11 * ε/(3C) = 33 * ε/33 = ε
    Therefore |x - 5| < δ implies |(3x^2 - 1) - 74| < ε
    Ergo lim[x->5] 3x^2 - 1 = 74

Does that sound about right? I have the feeling that my proof might be missing a few bits. I also don't completely understand why I have to say δ=min{1, ε/33}. I suppose there's a specific reason δ=ε/33 won't work, but I don't see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you "need to find" a value for C? Showing that C exists is sufficient.

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    *scratches head* Now that you mention it, I don't know. I take it I don't need to know a value for C because it ends up as 3*|x + 5||x - 5| < 3*C*ε/C, where the C's cancel each other out?

But, uhm, I don't really know. As I've said in a few posts before this one, I'm very unfamiliar with mathematical proofs, as most of what I've done before was of the 'just plug in numbers'-kind. I tried to do this as close to the book (Stewart's Calculus) as I could. I find it all very vague. On the one hand you need to *find* numbers, but on the other people keep talking about how you simply *define* all constants to mean I-don't-know-what.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook