One of the referees submitted his opinion after just one day

• Thread starter amicus_tobias
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the submission of a manuscript to Physical Review Letters and the anxiety of the author regarding the feedback from the referees. The author is unsure about the time frame of receiving the comments and expresses worry about the possibility of receiving a disastrous comment. Other individuals in the conversation reassure the author that the timing of receiving the comments does not necessarily indicate the quality of the feedback and advise the author to focus on other projects while waiting for the review.
amicus_tobias
I recently submitted a manuscript to Physical Review Letters, the editor sent it out to two referees. One of the referees sent his comment back on the second day. Do you think-based on your experience-this bodes well or the paper received a disastrous comment from the referee??

I know this question is kind of ridiculous for a lot of the people here, I mean, what can I do. But I am a little worried..

Thank you for your comments!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the referee's comments are in, can't you read them? Then you would know the answer to your question...

I'm not personally familiar with the details of PRL, but I suspect the issue is that the tracking system indicates that a review was received. Normally, the associate editor has to check out the reviews before making the comments available to the authors.

I wouldn't read too much into the time. It could mean anything from the fact that the reviewer simply had time to read it right away, to him or her citing a conflict of interest or not feeling qualified to review, or maybe they know that the work has been done before.

You won't know anything until the review is received, so don't sweat it. Just move on to other projects.

Exactly - you can't do anything, so why beat yourself up? It might mean anything - I had a paper accepted by PRL in 6 hours once. On a holiday. (Of course, I had warned the editor ahead of time)

I guess you are right. Thanks. I will try not to think about it for the moment...

Related to One of the referees submitted his opinion after just one day

1. How is it possible for a referee to submit their opinion after only one day?

It is possible for a referee to submit their opinion after one day if they have thoroughly reviewed the research paper and are confident in their evaluation. Some referees may have more experience and thus can provide a comprehensive review in a shorter amount of time.

2. Is a one-day review enough time for a thorough evaluation?

It depends on the complexity and length of the research paper, as well as the experience and expertise of the referee. While a one-day review may be sufficient for some papers, others may require more time for a thorough evaluation.

3. Does a quick review affect the quality of the referee's opinion?

The speed of the review does not necessarily affect the quality of the referee's opinion. It is more important for the referee to provide a thorough and thoughtful evaluation, regardless of the time it takes.

4. What factors may contribute to a referee submitting their opinion after one day?

There are various factors that may contribute to a referee submitting their opinion after one day. These may include their level of expertise and familiarity with the subject matter, the urgency of the review request, and their availability and workload.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to a quick review of a research paper?

A quick review may not allow for a thorough assessment of the research paper, leading to potential oversights or missed opportunities for improvement. Additionally, it may not provide enough time for the referee to gather and consider feedback from other experts in the field.