One Photon from coil and battery

In summary: It would be difficult (probably impossible) since the frequency is so low. However, once you reach a a frequency of a few terahertz (far infrared) good single photon detectors are readily available.
wawens
I need only one photon from a coil and battery set up.

Anyone know how I can get just one photon?
e.g. 1) slowly increasing ramp voltage that spits out single photons slowly?
2) Send a tiny voltage in by pushing a switch?
3) Have many windings or just a few?

Any clues please, would be most grateful. How does E = hf apply to a coil exactly?
http://www.ronsit.co.uk/weird_at_Heart.asp

wawens

Attachments

• coil.GIF
    coil.GIF
    17.5 KB · Views: 427
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot create "single photons" this way. All single-photon sources are created via energy transition, not 'classical' setup like this.Zz.

I need just one photon

But a coil would release photons, so cannot I get just one?
Say, I make a 'step' by applying a step voltage to a coil? or
filter the stream somehow (but how?)

I must have some basic misunderstanding of school physics if
only atom energy transitions allow me to get a single photon.

There are no physics in which to apply to the technique that you are describing that can get you one photon at a time.

Zz.

It is indeed impossible to generatore single photons this way. There are many reasons why; but one "obvious" problem should be the energies involved. Try calculating the energy of a photon (in a setup like this the relevant frequency is probably a few hundred kHz at most) then compare that number to the energy in the coil.
Even if you could generate a number state (i.e. a state with a definite number of photons, e.g. 1) you would end up with an enormous amount of photons, not one.
As an excersise you can also try calculating the number of photons generated in the same frequency range due to the thermal radiation (because the coil is at room temperature and not at zero kelvin).

I should perhaps point out that it IS possible to generate single photons using electrical circuits, i.e. high-quality microwave resonators operated at very low temperatures, but you need some pretty sophisticated equipment.

Yes, thanks f95toli, I calculated that even for a very low inductance coil the current needed to produce one photon is thousandths of a microamp. My yellow plastic voltmeter does not go that low and, as you righlty say, thermal photons would be everywhere messing my experiments up - the little wrigglers!

Appendix:
Here's my calculation (its only a rough measure of current needed to produce
one phorton in a very small coil at 100 KHz)

e = hf joules (for one photon_
= 100*1000*6.63*exp-34 joules
= 6.63*exp-29 joules
= LI2/2 -for a small air coil at VHF
i = root (2*6.63*exp-29/L)
3 turns of lentgh 10 mm and radius 5 mm = 0.018443 µH
i = root(2*6.63*exp-29/.02*exp-6)
= root(6.63exp-21)
= 8exp-11 amps wow, thtas small

even if you can produce a single photon (in , how could you detect that photon? to improve that if it is true or not

miftah said:
even if you can produce a single photon (in , how could you detect that photon? to improve that if it is true or not

In this case it would be difficult (probably impossible) since the frequency is so low. However, once you reach a a frequency of a few terahertz (far infrared) good single photon detectors are readily available.
There are also detectors that can operate down to a few tens of GHz (something like 90 GHz) and at least in principle detect a single photon.

Single Photon Detector

You mentioned single photon detectors are readily available.
I am not in a School/University scene at present, so where can I get
them privately? I suppose one that would go with a red laser?

Related to One Photon from coil and battery

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It is the basic unit of light and carries energy and momentum. It has zero rest mass and travels at the speed of light.

2. How does a photon interact with a coil and battery?

A photon can interact with a coil and battery through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a photon strikes the coil, it can induce an electric current in the coil, which can then be used to power the battery.

3. Can a single photon power a coil and battery?

Technically, yes, a single photon can power a coil and battery through the process of electromagnetic induction. However, the amount of energy carried by a single photon is very small, so it would require a large number of photons to generate a significant amount of power.

4. What is the efficiency of using a photon to power a coil and battery?

The efficiency of using a photon to power a coil and battery depends on several factors, such as the type of coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the materials used. Generally, the efficiency is low because the energy of a single photon is very small compared to the energy needed to power a coil and battery.

5. Can a photon from a coil and battery be used as a source of light?

No, a photon from a coil and battery cannot be used as a source of light. The photons produced in this process are usually in the infrared range and are not visible to the human eye. In order to produce visible light, a different energy source, such as an LED or incandescent bulb, would be needed.