Op amp transfer function incorporating output impedance

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to derive the transfer function of a simple inverting op amp topology, taking into account the output impedance of the non-ideal op amp. The person is having trouble getting a valid answer and suspects errors in their math or setup. They share the transfer function they have obtained and ask for help in identifying any mistakes. Another person points out that the system may not produce oscillations due to its first-order nature and suggests modeling the op-amp more realistically with a single pole gain. The person expresses gratitude for the suggestion and plans to try it out.
jrive
Hello,

I was trying to derive the transfer function of a simple inverting op amp topology, incorporating the output impedance, Ro, of the non-ideal op amp, to see how it, when combined with a load capacitance can induce oscillations (or at least ringing). I haven't been able to get a valid answer --could be bookkeeping errors with the math, or just that my set up is incorrect for deriving the circuit's transfer function. Refer to the attached picture.

Using Laplace, the xfer function I end up with is:
[itex]\frac{vo(s)}{vi(s)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-A*RF}{(R1+RF)*(s*CL*Ro*RF+(Ro+RF))+A*R1}[/itex]

If A is really big...this simplifies to -RF/R1, which is sort-of expected for negligible Ro. However, I expected the frequency dependent component (which includes RO) to be part this result even as A is big, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

I suspect it has to do with the derivation of the xfer function using A(Vp-Vn). Basically, I obtain Vn via superposition of the contributions from Vin and Vo as [itex]\frac{(V1*RF +Vo*R1)}{(R1+RF)}[/itex], Vp =0, and then use KVL at the Vo node...That is...

[itex]\frac{-A*Vn-Vo}{Ro}[/itex]+ [itex]\frac{(Vn-Vo)}{RF}[/itex]=Vo*s*CL...I then sub in the equation for Vn above and solve for Vo/Vin...

Any help is appreciated...
Jorge

Attachments

• opamp_ro.png
    opamp_ro.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 483
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi jrive! That looks like it will be a first-order system, so you won't get any oscillations out of that. You should model the op-amp more realistically. At least give it a gain that falls off with frequency, a single pole giving A₀/(1 + jω/ω₀). Typically, ω₀ is something like 100Hz, but if you look at the data sheet you'll see the corner frequency of its open loop gain.

yep...you're right NascentOxygen...thanks for pointing that out...I'll give that a shot to see if my math works out.

1. What is an op amp transfer function?

An op amp transfer function is a mathematical relationship between the input and output voltages of an operational amplifier. It describes how the input voltage is amplified and transformed into the output voltage.

2. How does output impedance affect op amp transfer function?

Output impedance refers to the internal resistance of the op amp's output stage. This impedance can affect the accuracy and stability of the op amp's transfer function, especially at high frequencies.

3. Can output impedance be ignored when designing op amp circuits?

No, output impedance should not be ignored. It can significantly impact the performance of the op amp circuit, particularly in high-gain applications. It is important to take into account the output impedance when designing op amp circuits.

4. How can output impedance be incorporated into the op amp transfer function?

Output impedance can be incorporated into the op amp transfer function by adding it as a term in the overall gain equation. This can be done by considering the output impedance as an additional resistance in the feedback loop of the op amp circuit.

5. What are some techniques for minimizing the impact of output impedance on op amp transfer function?

One technique is to use a buffer or voltage follower circuit at the output of the op amp. This effectively isolates the output impedance from the rest of the circuit. Another technique is to use a low-output-impedance op amp, which has a lower internal resistance and therefore less impact on the transfer function.