Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open sets and cartesian products

1. Mar 29, 2013 #1
    Let f be a continuous function from R to R and let A be a subset of R^2. Define A={(x,y): y<f(x)}.

Can you express A as a cartesian product of two open sets? I tried RxU alpha_x where alpha_x = {y:y<f(x)}. But that didn't work, i need to change something about R.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If those open sets should be subsets of R, I don't see how this can be possible.
    Two open sets B,C of R or R^2, where A={b+c|B in B, c in C} are possible, but that is not B x C.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    Let A=U_y {{f^-1(x):f(x)>y}x{y':y<maxf(R) is there is such a max and y'<y}}. Does that work?

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4
    But this doesn't contain those y's. If we add them manually to A will that change something?

Edit:
    If f has a max, say f(D), then add (f^-1(D), y) to A. If not then there exists an f(x') such that f(x')>y so add (f^-1(x'), y) to A. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Mar 29, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

What does "{f^-1(x):f(x)>y}" mean? You use "x" to denote values otherwise written as y, and get a set of values usually described as x. In addition, it is meaningless to use the same x in f and f^(-1). And how does y get defined here?

What is "{y':y<maxf(R) is there is such a max and y'<y}"? What happens if there is no such maximum? And if there is one, what does that mean?

7. Mar 29, 2013 #6
    Actually you can ignore my last reply above.
    Alright so write {x:f(x)>y} instead. We know this is open because f is continuous. y is defined as an arbitrary real number such that y<sup f so that y<f(x) could make sense. And if we put y'<y we get an open subset of real numbers consisting of y' s such that y'<y<f(x).

8. Mar 29, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see what you are doing.

Let's consider two examples:
    (1) f(x)=-y^2
    (2) f(x)=y

How do your sets look like?

9. Mar 29, 2013 #8
    (1)
    A={{x: f(x)=-y^2>-1}x{y'<-1: y' is a real}}U{{x: f(x)=-y^2>-2}x{y'<-2: y' is a real}}U{{x: f(x)=-y^2>-sqrt2}x{y'<-sqrt2: y' is a real}}U....

(2) is similar, I just substitute random real values for y.

10. Mar 29, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The assumption isn't even true in general so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with all that work. Given ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, assume that ##A = \mathbb{R}\times U## is in fact true, where ##U\subseteq \mathbb{R}## is open. If ##f## isn't constant then there exist ##x,y\in \mathbb{R}## such that ##f(x) < f(y)##. Therefore ##(y,f(x))\in A## but then ##f(x)\in U## implying ##(x,f(x))\in A## since ##A = \mathbb{R}\times U## by hypothesis, which is a contradiction.

11. Mar 29, 2013 #10
    Yes, this is why I said R x {something} doesn't work. I think I should write these in latex, it may be the case that you think I wrote U as a set but it is the union operation.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook