Open sets and cartesian products

In summary, Let f be a continuous function from R to R and let A be a subset of R^2. Define A={(x,y): y<f(x)}. A can be expressed as a cartesian product of two open sets, but it is not B x C. If f has a max, then add (f^-1(D), y) to A. What do you think?
bedi
Let f be a continuous function from R to R and let A be a subset of R^2. Define A={(x,y): y<f(x)}.

Can you express A as a cartesian product of two open sets? I tried RxU alpha_x where alpha_x = {y:y<f(x)}. But that didn't work, i need to change something about R.

Physics news on Phys.org
If those open sets should be subsets of R, I don't see how this can be possible.
Two open sets B,C of R or R^2, where A={b+c|B in B, c in C} are possible, but that is not B x C.

Let A=U_y {{f^-1(x):f(x)>y}x{y':y<maxf(R) is there is such a max and y'<y}}. Does that work?

But this doesn't contain those y's. If we add them manually to A will that change something?

Edit:
If f has a max, say f(D), then add (f^-1(D), y) to A. If not then there exists an f(x') such that f(x')>y so add (f^-1(x'), y) to A. What do you think?

Last edited:
What does "{f^-1(x):f(x)>y}" mean? You use "x" to denote values otherwise written as y, and get a set of values usually described as x. In addition, it is meaningless to use the same x in f and f^(-1). And how does y get defined here?

What is "{y':y<maxf(R) is there is such a max and y'<y}"? What happens if there is no such maximum? And if there is one, what does that mean?

Actually you can ignore my last reply above.
Alright so write {x:f(x)>y} instead. We know this is open because f is continuous. y is defined as an arbitrary real number such that y<sup f so that y<f(x) could make sense. And if we put y'<y we get an open subset of real numbers consisting of y' s such that y'<y<f(x).

I don't see what you are doing.

Let's consider two examples:
(1) f(x)=-y^2
(2) f(x)=y

How do your sets look like?

(1)
A={{x: f(x)=-y^2>-1}x{y'<-1: y' is a real}}U{{x: f(x)=-y^2>-2}x{y'<-2: y' is a real}}U{{x: f(x)=-y^2>-sqrt2}x{y'<-sqrt2: y' is a real}}U...

(2) is similar, I just substitute random real values for y.

The assumption isn't even true in general so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with all that work. Given ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, assume that ##A = \mathbb{R}\times U## is in fact true, where ##U\subseteq \mathbb{R}## is open. If ##f## isn't constant then there exist ##x,y\in \mathbb{R}## such that ##f(x) < f(y)##. Therefore ##(y,f(x))\in A## but then ##f(x)\in U## implying ##(x,f(x))\in A## since ##A = \mathbb{R}\times U## by hypothesis, which is a contradiction.

Yes, this is why I said R x {something} doesn't work. I think I should write these in latex, it may be the case that you think I wrote U as a set but it is the union operation.

Last edited:

What is an open set?

An open set is a subset of a metric space that does not contain its boundary points. In other words, for every point in the set, there exists a small enough neighborhood around that point that is entirely contained within the set.

What is the definition of a cartesian product?

The cartesian product of two sets A and B is the set of all possible ordered pairs (a,b) where a is an element of A and b is an element of B. It is denoted by A x B.

How are open sets and cartesian products related?

The cartesian product of two open sets is always an open set. This is because the neighborhoods around each point in the product set can be constructed from the neighborhoods of the individual sets.

Can a cartesian product of open sets be closed?

Yes, it is possible for a cartesian product of open sets to be closed. This occurs when one or both of the open sets are empty, or when the open sets are not subsets of a metric space.

Are there any other properties of open sets and cartesian products that are important to know?

Yes, there are several important properties such as the closure of a cartesian product, the interior of a cartesian product, and the boundary of a cartesian product. These properties can help to further understand the relationship between open sets and cartesian products.