Open-source web-based graphing calculator?

In summary: I'm teaching first-semester calculus right now, and I'm noticing that a lot of my students are using the online graphing calculator at desmos.com. (I think this sort of thing is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or for evil.) I played with the desmos app, and although it seems nice in some ways (human-like math notation, ease of use), in others it doesn't seem that great (e.g., you can't independently adjust the x and y scales, which makes it useless for some functions).I also feel that like is too short to waste time with proprietary software, so I spent some time trying to figure out whether or not desmos is
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm teaching first-semester calculus right now, and I'm noticing that a lot of my students are using the online graphing calculator at desmos.com. (I think this sort of thing is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or for evil.) I played with the desmos app, and although it seems nice in some ways (human-like math notation, ease of use), in others it doesn't seem that great (e.g., you can't independently adjust the x and y scales, which makes it useless for some functions).

I also feel that like is too short to waste time with proprietary software, so I spent some time trying to figure out whether or not desmos is open-source, and I couldn't find any info. (There appears to be a project of that name on github, but the README is uninformative, and I can't even tell easily if it's the same thing as the web-based calculator.)

I've also used something called relplot: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/relplot/ . It's cool because it can handle things like implicit functions and inequalities, and it can do ps and pdf output. However, it's not really open-source. (It's only free for noncommercial use.)

Does anyone have any comments on whether there is a free and open-source web-based graphing calculator application that is best of breed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
you can't independently adjust the x and y scales
Click the spanner.

bcrowell said:
I also feel that like is too short to waste time with proprietary software, so I spent some time trying to figure out whether or not desmos is open-source, and I couldn't find any info.
Someone has clearly invested a lot of money in this, I doubt the code will be open sourced. The API is public though.

MrAnchovy said:
Click the spanner.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

MrAnchovy said:
Someone has clearly invested a lot of money in this, I doubt the code will be open sourced. The API is public though.
Well, if that logic always worked, then linux wouldn't be open-source, because millions of dollars have been invested in it. Anyway, I'm only interested in the open-source possibilities, so if desmos isn't open-source but there is something open-source and not quite as slick, the latter is what I'm looking for.

bcrowell said:
Well, if that logic always worked, then linux wouldn't be open-source, because millions of dollars have been invested in it.
The millions of dollars have been invested since the first open source publication of the linux kernel, which Linus Torvalds wrote as a hobby with an investment of approximately FIM0.

Another option for your students is the FreeMat app that runs directly on your machine. It has many core features of MATLAB and can dynamically generate and scale plots automatically.

A heftier solution would be to go with Julia and use the Anaconda distribution which is a web-based notebook page format i.e. you enter some code in a textbook and then it shows the output and allows you to either reedit or enter more code on the a succeeding textbook. Prof Dave Sanders has a tutorial on Julia using the Notebook style for teaching:

@jedishrfu: Thanks for the info about FreeMat, although what I had more in mind was browser-based software.

I've fiddled with julia and got a very negative impression of the quality of its implementation, which has scared me off.

You could mash something up from an expression parser and a chart plotter, math.js is pretty good for the former, I've only used flot charting which is OK but there are now lots of alternatives that look good.

1. What is an open-source web-based graphing calculator?

An open-source web-based graphing calculator is a digital tool that allows users to plot and analyze mathematical equations and data on a graph. It is open-source, meaning that the source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute.

2. How does an open-source web-based graphing calculator work?

An open-source web-based graphing calculator uses HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code to create a user-friendly interface for plotting and analyzing mathematical equations and data. It also utilizes mathematical algorithms to accurately graph and display the data.

3. Is an open-source web-based graphing calculator free to use?

Yes, open-source web-based graphing calculators are typically free to use because their source code is publicly available and can be modified and distributed by anyone. However, some calculators may require a small fee for additional features or support.

4. How can I access an open-source web-based graphing calculator?

An open-source web-based graphing calculator can be accessed through a web browser on any device with an internet connection. Some may also offer downloadable versions that can be used offline.

5. Are there any limitations to using an open-source web-based graphing calculator?

The limitations of an open-source web-based graphing calculator may vary depending on the specific calculator, but some common limitations may include a lack of advanced features or compatibility issues with certain web browsers. Additionally, because the source code is open, the accuracy and security of the calculator may not be guaranteed.