Operators in quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the convergence of an operator in the context of a 1-D box with exponential operator power series. It is mentioned that convergence in this case may be in terms of a norm or weak convergence. Weak convergence in an inner product space is explained, along with its relation to strong convergence and its usefulness in distribution theory. The book "Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development" is recommended for understanding the math behind quantum mechanics.
Mk7492
Hi,
We know the convergence of a series but what does it mean to say that "an operator converges or diverges"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more context?

It's about the 'Propogator' of 1-D box ( -L/2 to +L/2) which is an exponential operator power series.

$ U = e^{{ \frac{i \hbar t} {2m}} {\frac{d^2} {dx^2} }} $
bhobba said:
It means it converges in some norm, or maybe by weak convergence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_convergence_(Hilbert_space)

I don't know the norm used here, my suspicion is its the weak convergence of distribution theory which would be something like On|u> converges weakly to O|u> for all |u>.

However convergence in path integrals is a difficult issue requiring some pretty advanced math (eg Hida Distributions):
http://www.mathnet.or.kr/mathnet/kms_tex/99937.pdf

Thanks
Bill
I don't know what weak convergence is. I was reading R.Shankar's "Principle's of Quantum mechanics " & i encountered the above question. Can you suggest me the math i need to know in order to understand QM.
Thankyou for the reply.

Mk7492 said:
I don't know what weak convergence is. I was reading R.Shankar's "Principle's of Quantum mechanics " & i encountered the above question. Can you suggest me the math i need to know in order to understand QM.

Read Chapter 1 - Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In the context of an inner product space the idea of weak convergence is fairly simple.

A sequence |an> converges to |a> if for all <b| in the space <b|an> converges to <b|a>.

Strong convergence is convergence in the norm ie |an> converges to |a> if ||an - a|| converges to zero.

Weak convergence of operators is On converges to O if On|a> converges in the weak sense to to O|a> for all |a>

For normal Hilbert spaces they are equivalent but there are spaces of great practical interest where its not the case. In particular that applies to what's called distribution theory. Its so useful it should really be part of the armoury of any physicist or applied mathematician. The best book I know to learn it from is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It for example makes the theory of Fourier transforms a snap. It makes use of weak convergence to ensure, for example, the Fourier transform of a convergent sequence itself always converges..

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Operators in quantum mechanics

1. What are operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are mathematical symbols that represent physical quantities. They act on quantum states to produce new states, and are essential for calculating the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How are operators used in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used to describe the evolution of quantum systems over time and to determine the probabilities of different outcomes in quantum measurements. They are also used to calculate expectation values, which are the average values of physical quantities in a given quantum state.

3. What are the most commonly used operators in quantum mechanics?

Some of the most commonly used operators in quantum mechanics include the position operator, momentum operator, and energy operator. These operators correspond to physical quantities that are fundamental to understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How do operators relate to observables in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are closely related to observables, which are physical quantities that can be measured in experiments. The eigenvalues of an operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the corresponding observable.

5. Can operators be represented by matrices?

Yes, operators in quantum mechanics can be represented by matrices. In fact, the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics relies heavily on linear algebra and the use of matrix representations for operators. This allows for efficient calculations and predictions of the behavior of quantum systems.