1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opinion on Geology majors?

1. Sep 27, 2013 #1
    I'm a senior in high school applying for Geology programs now. The main three I'm considering are New Mexico State, Purdue, and Indiana University. I'm into science, but I also want good job prospects and travel, and geology seems like it provides all of that. I'd mostly be interested in working in resource exploration and extraction, if that helps.

Purdue: Purdue University :: http://www.eas.purdue.edu/students/undergraduate/geology_geophysics.html [Broken]

IU: http://geology.indiana.edu/education/bs-geology-major.html [Broken]

NMSU: http://geology.nmsu.edu/undergrad.html

Which of these programs is best for my interests? I'll also be doing Army ROTC at one of these schools.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2
    Which school would you be in Army ROTC? I have a friend who goes to Purdue and loves it. He is a chemical engineering major though. After looking at all of them, I would chose Purdue assuming cost was relatively in range of what you can afford.

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3
    I spent the summer doing a geophysics REU half at Indiana university and half at Purdue. They both have amazing earth science programs so you really can't go wrong with either. I know IU's geology field camp is one of the best in the nation but that isn't a huge factor. I can say that Bloomington (IU) has much more of a college town feel and lots of great food. West Lafayette was sort of dreadful in my opinion. Though I believe Purdue may have more industry recruiters.

But like I said, both have respectable programs. I'd say just visit them both and see which atmosphere fits you better.

5. Sep 27, 2013 #4
    I agree with this. Visit the schools to see which one you like best, don't go to the school that your best friend is going to or vice versa. Go to a school that fits your needs only and which one you prefer.

I actually attend IU, but for physics not Geology; however, I've heard great things about the Geology department. :)

I live on campus and I agree with the above post, Bloomington is more of a college town compared to West Lafayette. I actually live relatively close to the Bloomington area, but I can't drive so I decided to live on campus and bike everywhere.

Anyway, West Lafayette does seem a bit dreadful; I've never been there, but I had a friend who went to Purdue for one year and transferred to IU because he didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, Purdue is an excellent school and it depends on which school fits your criteria. (I.e being financial aid, costs, tuition, dorms, architecture, academia, sports, etc.)

Good luck!

6. Sep 27, 2013 #5
    Thanks guys! I have heard of IU's field camp in Montana as well..... Very appealing!

I've visited both schools multiple times (I live about an hour from both), and I actually have already been accepted and offered a scholarship to IU! However, Purdue is where I interviewed for the ROTC scholarship (will find out if I got it in November or January). I loved the "smart" feel of West Lafayette compared to Bloomington where there were a lot of music and arts majors. But ultimately it comes down to what is the least expensive! I'll keep you guys posted.

7. Sep 27, 2013 #6
    Yeah, Purdue is usually deemed the science/engineering school and IU is usually liberal arts/music/business school. I would have gone to Purdue, but it's too far away and it personally didn't appeal to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook