Which Geology Program Best Suits a Future in Resource Exploration?

• Programs
  • Thread starter NextElement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geology
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a geology program at either New Mexico State University, Purdue University, or Indiana University. They are specifically interested in working in resource exploration and extraction and will also be participating in Army ROTC. The conversation also includes personal experiences and opinions on the atmosphere and programs at both Purdue and IU. Ultimately, the individual plans on visiting both schools before making a decision based on cost and personal fit.
NextElement
I'm a senior in high school applying for Geology programs now. The main three I'm considering are New Mexico State, Purdue, and Indiana University. I'm into science, but I also want good job prospects and travel, and geology seems like it provides all of that. I'd mostly be interested in working in resource exploration and extraction, if that helps.

Purdue: Purdue University :: http://www.eas.purdue.edu/students/undergraduate/geology_geophysics.html

IU: http://geology.indiana.edu/education/bs-geology-major.html

NMSU: http://geology.nmsu.edu/undergrad.html

Which of these programs is best for my interests? I'll also be doing Army ROTC at one of these schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which school would you be in Army ROTC? I have a friend who goes to Purdue and loves it. He is a chemical engineering major though. After looking at all of them, I would chose Purdue assuming cost was relatively in range of what you can afford.

I spent the summer doing a geophysics REU half at Indiana university and half at Purdue. They both have amazing Earth science programs so you really can't go wrong with either. I know IU's geology field camp is one of the best in the nation but that isn't a huge factor. I can say that Bloomington (IU) has much more of a college town feel and lots of great food. West Lafayette was sort of dreadful in my opinion. Though I believe Purdue may have more industry recruiters.

But like I said, both have respectable programs. I'd say just visit them both and see which atmosphere fits you better.

jbrussell93 said:
I spent the summer doing a geophysics REU half at Indiana university and half at Purdue. They both have amazing Earth science programs so you really can't go wrong with either. I know IU's geology field camp is one of the best in the nation but that isn't a huge factor. I can say that Bloomington (IU) has much more of a college town feel and lots of great food. West Lafayette was sort of dreadful in my opinion. Though I believe Purdue may have more industry recruiters.

But like I said, both have respectable programs. I'd say just visit them both and see which atmosphere fits you better.

I agree with this. Visit the schools to see which one you like best, don't go to the school that your best friend is going to or vice versa. Go to a school that fits your needs only and which one you prefer.

I actually attend IU, but for physics not Geology; however, I've heard great things about the Geology department. :)

I live on campus and I agree with the above post, Bloomington is more of a college town compared to West Lafayette. I actually live relatively close to the Bloomington area, but I can't drive so I decided to live on campus and bike everywhere.

Anyway, West Lafayette does seem a bit dreadful; I've never been there, but I had a friend who went to Purdue for one year and transferred to IU because he didn't like it. Don't get me wrong, Purdue is an excellent school and it depends on which school fits your criteria. (I.e being financial aid, costs, tuition, dorms, architecture, academia, sports, etc.)

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I have heard of IU's field camp in Montana as well... Very appealing!

I've visited both schools multiple times (I live about an hour from both), and I actually have already been accepted and offered a scholarship to IU! However, Purdue is where I interviewed for the ROTC scholarship (will find out if I got it in November or January). I loved the "smart" feel of West Lafayette compared to Bloomington where there were a lot of music and arts majors. But ultimately it comes down to what is the least expensive! I'll keep you guys posted.

NextElement said:
Thanks guys! I have heard of IU's field camp in Montana as well... Very appealing!

I've visited both schools multiple times (I live about an hour from both), and I actually have already been accepted and offered a scholarship to IU! However, Purdue is where I interviewed for the ROTC scholarship (will find out if I got it in November or January). I loved the "smart" feel of West Lafayette compared to Bloomington where there were a lot of music and arts majors. But ultimately it comes down to what is the least expensive! I'll keep you guys posted.

Yeah, Purdue is usually deemed the science/engineering school and IU is usually liberal arts/music/business school. I would have gone to Purdue, but it's too far away and it personally didn't appeal to me.

1. What is the job outlook for geology majors?

The job outlook for geology majors is positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for geoscientists is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the increasing demand for energy, environmental protection, and infrastructure projects.

2. What skills do geology majors develop?

Geology majors develop a range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. They also gain hands-on experience with fieldwork, laboratory techniques, and computer modeling. These skills are applicable to a variety of careers in industries such as energy, environmental consulting, and government agencies.

3. Is a geology major only useful for careers related to the environment?

No, a geology major can lead to a variety of careers beyond environmental fields. Geology majors are also in demand in the energy industry, where they can work in oil and gas exploration and production, mineral and resource extraction, and renewable energy development. Additionally, their skills are valuable in fields such as engineering, construction, and urban planning.

4. What are the benefits of studying geology?

Studying geology offers many benefits, including a deeper understanding of the Earth and its processes, the ability to apply scientific methods to real-world problems, and the opportunity to work in diverse environments. Geology also allows for a global perspective, as students learn about the Earth's history and the interconnectedness of its systems.

5. Are there opportunities for research as a geology major?

Yes, there are many opportunities for research as a geology major. Students can participate in undergraduate research projects with faculty, conduct independent research, or pursue graduate studies in geology. There are also opportunities for fieldwork and internships, which allow students to gain hands-on experience and contribute to ongoing research in the field.