Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opinions On This 50m Steel Span Bridge Without Supports

1. Sep 9, 2018 #1

morrobay

Gold Member

The bridge sections in photo are being welded / bolted ? together on site. Is this going to be structurally
    strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
    750x422_812013_1535965137.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2018 #2

phinds

Gold Member

Do you seriously think that nothing but the "information" in that picture is enough to base an engineering judgement on???

4. Sep 10, 2018 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I see a squirrel, what a cute squirrel. What is that he's eating? :oldeyes:

5. Sep 10, 2018 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

It will certainly be safer than crossing a ten-lane racing circuit ... :rolleyes:

6. Sep 11, 2018 #5

morrobay

Gold Member

7. Sep 11, 2018 #6

phinds

Gold Member

8. Sep 11, 2018 #7

Tom.G

Science Advisor

I have only light knowledge of structural design but that truss made of 8 inch (20cm) I-beams and box-beams looks very sturdy. If there had been a center support, the bridge would only remain until a vehicle crashed the center support; a somewhat likely thing to happen.

I agree the assembly of the three pieces is critical.

(Dimensions were estimated assuming the bus is 10 feet (3m) high.)

9. Sep 11, 2018 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

That depends on how many students try to break the "greatest number of people on a bridge" record.
    Where is it? India? Or will it be coated in ice during winter, then hit by a hurricane?
    The pedestrians are the least of the problems.

10. Sep 11, 2018 #9

phinds

Gold Member

and you are getting this from the picture, how?

11. Sep 11, 2018 #10

cjl

There are some more pictures linked in that forum in post 5. It looks pretty sturdy, but you really can't tell any detail without knowing a lot more about the design.

12. Sep 11, 2018 #11

phinds

Gold Member

I assumed those were all just examples of the KIND of structure he's talking about

13. Sep 11, 2018 #12

cjl

Could be. I was under the impression that was the exact structure in question, but regardless, there's no way to say what the safe load and safety factor is without far more info.

14. Sep 11, 2018 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Based on the fact that it is a real bridge under construction I conclude that it has been designed by a qualified engineer and the plans reviewed and approved by a qualified code enforcement agency and therefore will be structurally strong enough. Anything beyond that - as others indicate - is pointless speculation. Thread locked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook