Opinions On This 50m Steel Span Bridge Without Supports

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
morrobay
Gold Member
The bridge sections in photo are being welded / bolted ? together on site. Is this going to be structurally
strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
750x422_812013_1535965137.jpg

Attachments

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Do you seriously think that nothing but the "information" in that picture is enough to base an engineering judgement on???

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and anorlunda
berkeman
Mentor
I see a squirrel, what a cute squirrel. What is that he's eating? :oldeyes:

Likes russ_watters
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It will certainly be safer than crossing a ten-lane racing circuit ... :rolleyes:

Tom.G
Science Advisor
I have only light knowledge of structural design but that truss made of 8 inch (20cm) I-beams and box-beams looks very sturdy. If there had been a center support, the bridge would only remain until a vehicle crashed the center support; a somewhat likely thing to happen.

I agree the assembly of the three pieces is critical.

(Dimensions were estimated assuming the bus is 10 feet (3m) high.)

Baluncore
Science Advisor
Is this going to be structurally strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
That depends on how many students try to break the "greatest number of people on a bridge" record.
Where is it? India? Or will it be coated in ice during winter, then hit by a hurricane?
The pedestrians are the least of the problems.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have only light knowledge of structural design but that truss made of 8 inch (20cm) I-beams and box-beams...
and you are getting this from the picture, how?

cjl
Science Advisor
There are some more pictures linked in that forum in post 5. It looks pretty sturdy, but you really can't tell any detail without knowing a lot more about the design.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
There are some more pictures linked in that forum in post 5. It looks pretty sturdy, but you really can't tell any detail without knowing a lot more about the design.
I assumed those were all just examples of the KIND of structure he's talking about

cjl
Science Advisor
Could be. I was under the impression that was the exact structure in question, but regardless, there's no way to say what the safe load and safety factor is without far more info.

russ_watters
Mentor
Is this going to be structurally
strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
Based on the fact that it is a real bridge under construction I conclude that it has been designed by a qualified engineer and the plans reviewed and approved by a qualified code enforcement agency and therefore will be structurally strong enough. Anything beyond that - as others indicate - is pointless speculation. Thread locked.