1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical phenomena with colliding river rocks

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    Today, I was red-necking it up with some friends in Auburn at the nearby forest. We found an open area on a decent sized creek that was filled with mostly less-than-fist-sized river rock.

After dark, we noticed that when a rock was thrown to the ground (on the other rocks), a small spirt of light would appear. It appeared mostly white, but was perhaps slightly bluish.

I know little about geology, but the rocks were of both light color, and consistent in color.

What's going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    That's what I figured. Somehow, an electron gets excited. As the electron returns to a lower state, It ionizes the surrounding air. This ionized air then emits the light.

So there's not much better than that? Sounds like a lot of hand-waving.

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4
    I could be wrong, but I think that an electron returning to a lower state does not ionize anything. Rather, the electron emits a photon while returning to a "lower state"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook