Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Optical Phenomena

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    What are the key elements for an optical phenomenon and what are the underlying basic assumptions? Example: the key elements of flight are lift, drag, thrust and weight/gravity. Also would you please recommend resources I could use to find other people that would be interested in this topic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What exactly do you mean by "optical phenomenon?"

From what I understand of your question, my answer would be that the key elements are light-matter interactions.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3
    I guess when i say "optical phenomenon" an "object" that you see that isn't really there. Atmospheric optical phenomenon (rainbow or mirage), Optical effects (aura/halo) or Iridescence(goniochromism)?

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, so have you researched on how a rainbow is formed, or a sun halo, or a mirage ?

there's masses of info available out there
    do some reading and then come back with questions on any thing you don't understand :smile:

Dave

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Jan 5, 2017 #5
    I guess that been my issue. There is so much information out there but nothing that is as specific as I am looking for. If i wanted to create a mirage in my living room is that even possible and what elements would i need to make it possible?

Thanks!

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK so google How does a mirage form ?

look at those conditions needed and then decide if it is possible or practical to be able to reproduce those conditions inside at home

8. Jan 5, 2017 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get the impression that you want to jump into this subject right in the middle without getting to know the basics. There are many ad hoc answers available on the Web for that sort of question but they may well not help you understanding of the real principles involved. There is no easy way into Science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted