Diffraction Grating - Calculating Ruling Width

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the ruling width in a grating and its relationship to the intensity and resolving power. The main equation for intensity is given, along with a formula for resolving power. The second question is not fully understood, but it is determined that the ruling width should be smaller than the wavelength for optimal results.
Martin89

Homework Statement

Diffraction.png

The Attempt at a Solution

20180422_191805.jpg

Hi All!

This is probably going to have a very simple answer. I'm stuck on question (b)(ii). The only equation I can find with the ruling width in it is the one shown and I can't find a way to calculate is as I don't know Beta.

Thanks

Attachments

• Diffraction.png
    Diffraction.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 799
  • 20180422_191805.jpg
    20180422_191805.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 667
Physics news on Phys.org
The basic equation of the intensity for a grating of ## N ## equally spaced lines separated by a distance ## d ## is ## I(\theta)=I_o \frac{\sin^2(N \phi)/2)}{\sin^2(\phi/2)} ##where ## \phi =\frac{ 2 \pi d \, \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ##. The primary maxima are found when both numerator and denominator are equal to zero, and in the limit as the denominator approaches ## 0 ##, the intensity of the maxima ## I=I_o N^2 ## at these locations. The resolving power is given by ## R=\frac{\lambda}{\Delta \lambda}=N m ## where ## N ## is the number of illuminated lines and ## m ## is the order. This can be derived from the intensity equation, but for someone not specializing in spectroscopy, simply using this resolving power formula is sufficient. ## \\ ## For the second question, (the width of the ruling), I'm not sure what they are asking. Maybe it has a simple answer, but they didn't seem to give sufficient information for that part. ## \\ ## See also this previous homework posting: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diffraction-grating-question-dispersion-and-resolving.897090/ ## \\ ## Editing: I think I figured out what part (ii) is asking. This higher order will occur at a fairly wide angle ## \theta ## on the spectrometer. In order to have the intensity be appreciable at that angle, the single-slit diffraction intensity factor ## i(\theta)= \frac{\sin^2(\phi'/2)}{(\phi'/2)^2} ## where ## \phi'=\frac{2 \pi b \, \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## that is multiplied by the above interference result to get the complete intensity needs to be greater than ## .1 ## or thereabouts. (For this formula, with a reflection grating, you can assume ## b ## is the width of the ruling). ## \\ ## [Edit: "In principle", the order ## m ## maximum from above needs to occur inside of, really well inside of, the first zero intensity of the single slit diffraction pattern. That first zero occurs at ## \theta ## such that ## \lambda=b \sin(\theta) ##. In addition, might it be a good answer to say ## b ## should be such that ## b<\lambda ##? I'll let you decide that, based on the approximate value that you get for ## \sin(\theta) ## at the maximum of order ## m ## ]. ## \\ ## I think the second answer I gave here, ( the part [Edit: "In principle"..., etc.], is simpler, and probably better than trying to mathematically analyze the single-slit diffraction intensity function.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The basic equation of the intensity for a grating of ## N ## equally spaced lines separated by a distance ## d ## is ## I(\theta)=I_o \frac{\sin^2(N \phi)/2)}{\sin^2(\phi/2)} ##where ## \phi =\frac{ 2 \pi d \, \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ##. The primary maxima are found when both numerator and denominator are equal to zero, and in the limit as the denominator approaches ## 0 ##, the intensity of the maxima ## I=I_o N^2 ## at these locations. The resolving power is given by ## R=\frac{\lambda}{\Delta \lambda}=N m ## where ## N ## is the number of illuminated lines and ## m ## is the order. This can be derived from the intensity equation, but for someone not specializing in spectroscopy, simply using this resolving power formula is sufficient. ## \\ ## For the second question, (the width of the ruling), I'm not sure what they are asking. Maybe it has a simple answer, but they didn't seem to give sufficient information for that part. ## \\ ## See also this previous homework posting: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diffraction-grating-question-dispersion-and-resolving.897090/ ## \\ ## Editing: I think I figured out what part (ii) is asking. This higher order will occur at a fairly wide angle ## \theta ## on the spectrometer. In order to have the intensity be appreciable at that angle, the single-slit diffraction intensity factor ## i(\theta)= \frac{\sin^2(\phi'/2)}{(\phi'/2)^2} ## where ## \phi'=\frac{2 \pi b \, \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## that is multiplied by the above interference result to get the complete intensity needs to be greater than ## .1 ## or thereabouts. (For this formula, with a reflection grating, you can assume ## b ## is the width of the ruling). ## \\ ## [Edit: "In principle", the order ## m ## maximum from above needs to occur inside of, really well inside of, the first zero intensity of the single slit diffraction pattern. That first zero occurs at ## \theta ## such that ## \lambda=b \sin(\theta) ##. In addition, might it be a good answer to say ## b ## should be such that ## b<\lambda ##? I'll let you decide that, based on the approximate value that you get for ## \sin(\theta) ## at the maximum of order ## m ## ]. ## \\ ## I think the second answer I gave here, ( the part [Edit: "In principle"..., etc.], is simpler, and probably better than trying to mathematically analyze the single-slit diffraction intensity function.

Thanks a lot! I managed to briefly see my professor this morning and he said exactly the same thing as you :smile:

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical device that uses a series of closely spaced parallel lines or rulings to separate and diffract light into its component wavelengths. It is often used in spectroscopy and other light analysis techniques.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, the closely spaced rulings act as a series of parallel slits that cause the light to diffract, or spread out, into its component wavelengths. This produces a distinct pattern of bright and dark fringes, known as an interference pattern, which can be used to analyze the properties of the light.

3. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through it, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects light off its surface. Both types of gratings have their own advantages and are used in different applications.

4. What factors affect the performance of a diffraction grating?

The performance of a diffraction grating is affected by several factors, including the number of rulings per unit length, the spacing between the rulings, and the geometry of the grating. Other factors such as the angle of incidence and the wavelength of light also play a role in the grating's performance.

5. What are some common uses of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in spectrometers for analyzing the composition of materials, in telecommunications for separating and directing light signals, and in optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes for enhancing resolution and minimizing optical aberrations.