Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[OPTICS] Faraday Rotator with waveplates

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    Hi all

I'm trying to replicate the effect of a 45° Faraday rotator using a series of waveplates instead.

I've encountered some difficulties using the jones matrix notation, due to the differencies of the matrix formulas between the books I'm referring to.

The main book I'm using is: "Polarized Light" by Goldstein.

By viewing the problem on the Poincaré sphere I think the solution is a lambda/4 waveplate + lambda/4 waveplate rotated by 45°

But the matematical results via jones calculus don't support my idea.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards

Mark

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your answer.
    In my experiment I don't use the backward propagation of the light, I only use the forward one. My goal is to achieve the same 45° polarization rotation using the waveplates instead.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 7, 2014 #5
    Thanks for the help, I think the closest solution is a half wave plate tilt by pi/8. The resulting jones matrix has the same values of the rotator one, but differs in 2 signs.

7. Mar 9, 2014 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, a single halfwave plate is the most straightforward way to rotate a linearly polarized beam.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums!

8. Mar 11, 2014 #7
    Thank you very much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook