Optics - Finding the height of a mirror

In summary, the minimum height of a wall mirror that will permit a 6 foot person to view his or her entire height is 3 feet.
Xyius

Homework Statement

Determine the minimum height of a wall mirror that will permit a 6ft person to view his or her entire height. Sketch rays from the top and bottom of the person, and determine the proper placement of the mirror such that the full image is seen, regardless of the persons distance from the mirror.

Homework Equations

The Law of reflection and refraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start with this one. The question itself confuses me, how can the full image always be seen regardless of the distance from the mirror? What if the mirror is right up against the person? How could he possibly see his whole image? The solution in the back of the book says, "3ft with top edge of mirror at a height halfway between the persons eye level and the top of the person's head." How in the world would I go about getting this?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are talking about the height of the mirror from top to bottom of the mirror, not height from the ground.

Draw a line from your feet to the mirror and then it reflects towards your eyes. What do you know about the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

Similarly, draw a line from the top of your head, reflecting off the mirror and hitting your eyes.
What do you know about the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

I know that in each case, the angle of incidence will equal the angle of reflection. I am confused about getting the height of the mirror. I am looking to find some sort of geometric approach where "h" (the height of the mirror) is the height of a triangle. Nothing is immediately obvious to me though :\

Oh! I think I got it! (But please correct me if I am wrong)

Drawing a line from the very bottom of my foot to the mirror and then to my eye, it is evident that any "mirror" below that point is not needed, therefore the light ray from my foot hits the very bottom of the mirror.

Since the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection, it forms two triangles back to back with me acting as the base of the two triangles. (Hard to explain without a picture, basically 6 feet is the sum of both the triangle bases.) Since the two angles are the same by the mirror, and each triangle has a 90 degree angle in it, the two triangles are the same and divide 6 feet evenly, meaning the mirror would be 3 feet!

Yes, that's right. Good.

It would be even easier if you had eyes at the top of your head, but it is pretty easy anyway.

Just drawing a large, accurate drawing usually gets you half way towards an answer in optics.

Cool! Thanks!

1. How do I find the height of a mirror using optics?

To find the height of a mirror using optics, you will need a measuring tape, a laser pointer, and a flat surface. Place the mirror on the flat surface and shine the laser pointer at the bottom of the mirror. Measure the distance from the laser pointer to the bottom of the mirror. This distance is equal to half the height of the mirror.

2. Can I use any type of laser pointer for this method?

Yes, you can use any type of laser pointer as long as it produces a clear, focused beam. However, it is recommended to use a green laser pointer as it is easier to see and has a longer range compared to red laser pointers.

3. Is this method accurate?

Yes, this method is accurate as long as the mirror is placed on a flat surface and the laser pointer is aligned at the bottom of the mirror. However, there may be slight variations due to human error in measuring the distance.

4. Can I use this method for any type of mirror?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of mirror as long as it has a flat bottom edge. This includes both concave and convex mirrors.

5. Can I use this method for mirrors of any size?

Yes, this method can be used for mirrors of any size as long as the laser pointer has a long enough range to reach the bottom of the mirror. If the mirror is too large, you may need to use a longer measuring tape to accurately measure the distance.