Optics - Obtaining structure of an object using a laser

In summary, the experiment was done to see what objects look like microscopically. The Fourier transform was used to recover what the original object looked like. The problem is that the co-ordinates in matlab are in pixels/mm, but the distance between peaks in the Fourier transform is in pixels/steradian. To convert the co-ordinates, the conversion factor is needed. The conversion factor is k = (2pi/λf)x, where lambda is the wavelength of the light used in the experiment. The FFT image has units of length (and 1/pixels). The technique is used with x-rays and is called coherent diffraction imaging. Ptychography is a related technique
The_Foetus
Hi,

Recently I did an experiment to try and discover what some objects look like microscopically, using a laser and looking at their diffraction patterns. We used the fact that the intensity profile you obtain is the Fourier transform of the object you're shining it through, so we can recover what the original object looks like by taking the Fourier transform of the image.

However looking back over it, I'm getting very confused about the mathematics converting the distances in our Fourier transform to real distances.

We used a camera and MATLAB to do the Fourier transform, and we got a conversion of about 50 pixels/mm for the camera. The difficulty comes when using the co-ordinates in matlab. For instance, for one of our objects, when we took the Fourier transform it returned that the co-ordinate distance between peaks was 100 pixels (or 1/pixels?). We used k = (2pi/λf)x, but do we get the real distance between peaks to be 100*(λf/2pi) or what? Apologies if this sounds a bit confusing, will try and compose my sentences better if it's too unclear

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure about your setup and data analysis, but if I understand correctly, your image is better thought of as 'reciprocal space' (or angle) rather than 'pixels/mm'- and 50 pixels/mm sounds like your have ginormous pixels... Anyhow, it should be 'pixels/steradian' (or 'pixels/radian' in one dimension), and the FFT image would then have units of length (and 1/pixels).

I forget the exact conversion factor, but IIRC, say your sensor subtends 0.01 radian (the actual number will depend on the sensor size and distance from the object). Then, each pixel of the FFT image will represent 2π/0.01 *λ units of length. I think- I need to verify this, but my references are at the office.

Believe it or not, this technique is frequently used with x-rays. It is called coherent diffraction imaging. You can get resolutions down to 10 or 20 nanometers with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_diffraction_imaging

A related technique is Ptychography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptychography

The main problem with the Fourier transform is that you only measure the amplitude of the Fourier signal. The phase is unknown.
To do the back-transformation from the diffraction signal to the real space object you need both amplitude and phase.

One way of recovering the phase is to oversample, i.e. to measure many more amplitudes than are needed for the reconstruction,
and use this redundancy to find a phase/amplitude solution that is consistent with all observed amplitudes.

Likes Andy Resnick
M Quack said:
<snip>
  1. The main problem with the Fourier transform is that you only measure the amplitude of the Fourier signal. <snip>
I think you mean 'intensity' instead of 'amplitude'.

Yes, with the increasing availability of area detectors, this technique (also called static light scattering) is gaining popularity. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the scale factor that provides the proper units- there's the scattering vector q = 4π sin(θ/2)/λ and the corresponding length l = 2π/q, but none of my image processing books provide a clear relationship between a digital image of (say) a Laue pattern and the corresponding real-space length scale obtained by a DFT.

Yes, intensity of the light which gives you the amplitude of the electric field by taking the square root...

BTW, in Bragg's law, the scattering angle (angle between incident and exit beams) is usually denote by 2theta (theta is the Bragg angle),
then q= 4pi sin(theta)/lambda.

To get the scattering angle 2theta you need to know the sample-to-detector distance.

tan(2theta)=(number of pixels)(pixel size)/(sample-to-detector distance).

"number of pixels" is the distance, in pixels, of your measurement point to the point where the incident beam hits the detector, assuming the detector is perpendicular to the incident beam.

1. How does laser technology help in obtaining the structure of an object?

Laser technology uses a focused beam of light to scan the surface of an object and create a 3D map of its structure. This allows for precise measurements and detailed images of the object's surface.

2. What types of lasers are commonly used in obtaining the structure of an object?

The most commonly used lasers for this purpose are semiconductor lasers, solid-state lasers, and gas lasers. Each type has its own advantages and is suited for different applications.

3. Can laser technology be used to obtain the structure of objects in different environments?

Yes, laser technology can be used in various environments, including air, water, and vacuum. However, the type of laser used may need to be adjusted to accommodate for factors such as humidity or pressure.

4. How accurate is laser technology in obtaining the structure of an object?

Laser technology is incredibly accurate, with the ability to measure down to a nanometer scale. This level of precision allows for detailed analysis and measurements of even the smallest structures.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using laser technology for obtaining the structure of an object?

Yes, laser technology can be hazardous if not used properly. It is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when working with lasers to avoid potential eye or skin damage.