Optics question: light reflecting off a colored surface

In summary, when white light hits a surface, it is absorbed except for one frequency which is reflected, giving the object its color. However, certain materials, such as colored plastics, can also reflect images in color due to a combination of absorption, scattering, and reflection. This can also be affected by image processing in the brain.
PotentialE
From my understanding, when white light hits a surface, all of the frequencies within the white light are absorbed except one, which is reflected, and that is the color of the object. For instance, a blue plastic appears blue because it absorbs all frequencies except that of blue.
Why then, can certain materials, colored plastics in particular, reflect images in color. Images reflected in plastic are not as vivid as a mirror, but they are in color nonetheless.
Why if a material can show a reflection is it not just a different color? For instance, I can see by looking at the back of my phone case, blue plastic, that the shirt I'm wearing is red. If the case can reflect red, why isn't the case itself just red? What properties of material or light allow reflections to be seen over other colors?

Science news on Phys.org
PotentialE said:
From my understanding, when white light hits a surface, all of the frequencies within the white light are absorbed except one, which is reflected, and that is the color of the object. For instance, a blue plastic appears blue because it absorbs all frequencies except that of blue.
That's what we tell the kiddies - next level up: different materials absorb different combinations of wavelengths. The color you see is how your eye responds to the wavelengths that get scattered.

Why then, can certain materials, colored plastics in particular, reflect images in color. Images reflected in plastic are not as vivid as a mirror, but they are in color nonetheless.
There is more than one thing happening. Materials only absorb a proportion of the incident light. Light that gets scattered gives the diffuse color but you also get specular effects and straight reflection as of a mirror. In general, incident light can be absorbed, scattered, reflected, or transmitted.

Why if a material can show a reflection is it not just a different color? For instance, I can see by looking at the back of my phone case, blue plastic, that the shirt I'm wearing is red. If the case can reflect red, why isn't the case itself just red? What properties of material or light allow reflections to be seen over other colors?
In the case of the blue surface - it is reflecting visible light of many wavelengths, but some of the wavelengths are absorbed, scattering blue light.

What you see is the combination of lots of processes - the scatter/reflection gets some help from the image processing in your brain too... so the red shirt probably looks redder than the reflected red light would indicate because your brain knows your shirt is supposed to be red.

Similarly, when you look at differently colored objects under monochromatic light it sometimes looks like you can see the colors there anyway.

1. How does the color of a surface affect the reflection of light?

The color of a surface affects the reflection of light by determining which wavelengths of light are absorbed and which are reflected. For example, a red surface absorbs all colors of light except for red, which is reflected. This is why we see the surface as red.

2. Why does a white surface appear to reflect more light than a black surface?

A white surface appears to reflect more light than a black surface because it reflects all wavelengths of light, while a black surface absorbs all wavelengths of light. This means that a white surface is able to reflect more light back into our eyes, making it appear brighter.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflection of light off a colored surface?

The angle of incidence affects the reflection of light off a colored surface by determining the direction and intensity of the reflected light. The angle of incidence is the angle at which light hits the surface, and the angle of reflection is the angle at which it bounces off. The greater the angle of incidence, the more the light will be reflected away from the surface.

4. Why do different colors appear to have different levels of brightness when reflecting off a surface?

Different colors appear to have different levels of brightness when reflecting off a surface because each color has a different wavelength and energy level. This means that certain colors may be more easily absorbed or reflected by a surface, resulting in differences in brightness. Additionally, the surface's texture and material can also affect how much light is reflected, further contributing to differences in brightness.

5. Can the color of a surface change the direction of reflected light?

Yes, the color of a surface can change the direction of reflected light. This is due to the principle of selective reflection, where different colors are reflected at different angles. For example, a red surface may reflect red light at a steeper angle than blue light, resulting in a perceived change in direction of the reflected light.