Optimal Ratios for Beef Marinade: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter wukunlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratios
In summary, the person didn't like the taste of the diced beef they bought and decided to try a marinade with soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and garlic. They were unsure of the ratio so they looked online for advice. They found that a good ratio is 3 parts soy sauce to 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part garlic. They should let the beef sit in the marinade for at least 2 hours.
wukunlin
Gold Member
Alright, so I bought some diced beef from the supermarket cos they were cheap and decided to just fry them on a non-stick fry pan with only salt and pepper and I didn't like the taste of it at all. Juices flowed all over the place and ended up boiling the meet instead of fry it... bleh.

So I looked around the kitchen and found that I have some aged soy sauce (i.e. really salty) and a bottle of apple cider vinegar. So I decided I will marinade the remaining diced beef with these things. A quick search on the internet seem to agree this to be a good idea but I can find anywhere saying what a good ratio for it will be?

TL;DR

I am marinating some diced beef with
  • aged soy sauce
  • apple cider vinegar
  • garlic (maybe?)
What is a good ratio and how long should I the beef sit in the marinade?
(This is someone who hasn't done much cooking so I may need some basic knowledge on things o:))

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't actually know any traditional cooking stuff, other than brushing sauce onto a steak while it's grilling. The only thing that I've ever marinaded is my own liver, and I have no intention of eating it.
That being said, I cook both solid meat and lean ground beef in a frying pan. (I own 2 propane BBQ's, but I'm a bit timid about using them now that I'm on an oxygen supply.) My flavouring is always the same, just because I see no reason to alter something that I love. For solid meat such as a steak or chops, I use the mix in a thin layer instead of my usual margarine as a pan lubricant (mine aren't non-stick). For ground beef, I usually add a lot more and let it stew.
Anyhow, what I use is soya sauce, Bovril, medium chunky salsa, and most important of all La Grille Montreal Steak Spice. In the case of a thin layer, it reduces down to a gooey conglomeration about the consistency of butter that I then shovel off of the pan and spread on top of the meat for serving. It's ugly as hell, but I can't tell you how incredible it tastes. Do be cautious if serving to others, though; it's extremely salty, almost too much for me (and I'm one of only 4 people I know who puts salt on bacon—Evo is one of the others). If you have guests, go easy on the soya sauce since that's the primary source of salt. The Montreal spice is available with all of the regular ingredients except for salt, so maybe that variant is a good choice.

Last edited:
Likes wukunlin
Learn kitchen chemistry. Brining/marinades are hypotonic solutions, marinades with flavoring/tenderizing additions. As with simple brining, the excess saltiness should be rinsed away.

Wisconsin's Walworth KikkomanUSA is the worlds largest producer of shoyu/soy sauce.

By the bye... to show the depth of my perversity (and maybe because I'm a Canuck), I fry my ham steaks in maple syrup and add nothing else.

Doug Huffman said:
Brining/marinades are hypotonic solutions, marinades with flavoring/tenderizing additions. As with simple brining, the excess saltiness should be rinsed away.
I think you mean to say hypertonic.

Monique said:
I think you mean to say hypertonic.
You're both wrong; gin and tonic is the proper way to go.

1. What is the ideal ratio for a marinade?

The ideal ratio for a marinade typically includes equal parts of an acidic ingredient (such as vinegar or citrus juice), oil, and seasonings. This creates a balanced flavor and helps the marinade penetrate the meat evenly.

2. Can I use different types of acid in a marinade?

Yes, you can use a variety of acids in a marinade, such as lemon juice, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, or even yogurt. Just be sure to adjust the amount of acid based on its level of acidity.

3. How long should I marinate my meat?

The length of time for marinating depends on the type and thickness of the meat. Generally, tougher cuts of meat can marinate for longer periods (2-24 hours), while more delicate meats should only be marinated for 30 minutes to 2 hours. It is important not to marinate for too long, as the acid can break down the proteins too much and result in a mushy texture.

4. Can I reuse a marinade?

No, it is not safe to reuse a marinade that has been in contact with raw meat. The marinade will contain bacteria from the meat, so it should either be discarded or boiled for several minutes to kill any harmful bacteria before using it as a sauce or glaze.

5. What if I don't have time to marinate my meat?

If you don't have time to marinate your meat, you can still add flavor by brushing the meat with the marinade while it cooks. You can also use a dry rub or seasoning blend to add flavor to the surface of the meat. Alternatively, you can choose a quick marinade recipe that only requires 30 minutes or less of marinating time.