What is the Maximum Volume of an Upside Down Cone Inside a Larger Cone?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum volume of a right circular cone placed upside down in another right circular cone of radius R and height H. The volume of a cone is given by the formula 1/3pir^2h and the participants discuss how to find the equation for the sides of the large triangle in order to determine the radius of the smaller cone as a function of its height. The conversation also touches upon the process of finding the maximum value of the smaller cone and the importance of not making assumptions in the problem-solving process.
fubag
Find the maximum volume of a right circular cone placed upside down in a right circular cone of radius R and height H. The volume of a cone of radius r and height h is 4/3pir^2h.

I need help starting this one up...

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
a picture or two may be needed for me to see the exact criteria as to how the cone must be placed inside the othe cone... or do u have to work that out during the optimization process too?

so the axis of symmetry must align?

shall need a function of h in terms of r or vice-versa where R, H are fixed variables.

Last edited:
Looked at "from the side" you have two triangles. You should be able to find the equation for the sides of the large triangle (i.e. large cone) and use that to find the radius of the base of the small cone as a function of its height.

ok so.. equation for the sides of the large triangle =

S = 2R + 2sqrt.(H^2 + R^2)

im not sure how to solve for the radius of the small cone as a functon of its height

How about drawing a picture? Where exactly does a cone of height h intersect that line- in other words, when h= H, what is R?

Your "equation for the sides of the large triangle makes no sense because it involves 3 variables. If "R" and "H" are the radius and height of the cone, what is "S"?

R is in respect to H, so R=r...?

ok

so i rethought about it

and drew a diagramand now I have

r = 1/2R

and h = 1/2H

so the next step is maximizing this...?

with respect to t, or x, or what?

V = 4/3pi (R/2)^2(H/2)
dV/dx?

how can I solve for the bigger R in terms of H?

Last edited:
No, r is not (1/2)R! Taking (0,0) as the point of the large cone, the axis of the cone as the y-axis, the right side of the large cone has equation y= (H/R)x so that when x= 0, y= 0, the point of the cone, and when x= R, y= H. Your small cone has its point at y= H. When x= r, its side touches that line. Of course, at that point, the y coordinate is H-h. Put x= r, y= H-h into the equation y= (H/R)x and you get H-h= (H/R)r or r= (R/H)(H-h)= R- (R/H)h.

You might find it simpler to write h as a function of r: h= (H/R)(R-r)= H- (H/R)r.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i draw the larger cone as a triangle, and the smaller cone as an upside down triangle within the larger, cone, I can clearly see 4 triangle being formed...so in order to maximize the smaller cones area...I took 1/4 the area of the larger cone, using the formula A = 1/2bh...

that is how I got r = (1/2)R and h= (1/2)H.

but after looking at your last post, I got a little confused...even after acquiring the function of h in terms of r and H, how can I precede the question to find the maximum value of the smaller cone?

WHY did you take "1/4 the area of the larger cone"? The whole point of the question is to determine what the maximum area of the smaller cone can be. How do you know before you even start that it will be 1/4 of the area?

we are looking for maximum volume of the cone, not area...

but ok...I understand that I can't assume that...

I redrew the triangles, and this time saw why.my teacher hinted about finding the volume of the inner cone with respect to h..so now do I just use that equation of h(r) above and plug it back into the volume of a cone and take the derivative and set it equal to zero?

Excuse me. YOU were the one who said "so in order to maximize the smaller cones area...I took 1/4 the area of the larger cone, using the formula A = 1/2bh..."

I think there is a typo on the volume of a cone - should be 1/3 instead of 4/3. Re how to solve, the most straightforward is:

1. Determine r or h in terms of H,R (simple trig w/ triangles)
2. Substitute into equation for V to get V = f(r) or V = f(h)
3. Take derivative of (2), set = 0, and solve

The result is a quadratic equation that is readily solved. The answer is surprising simple.

1. What is Optimization of Cones?

Optimization of cones is a process used in mathematics and engineering to find the optimal dimensions of a cone that will result in the most efficient use of materials and resources.

2. How is Optimization of Cones used in real life?

Optimization of cones is commonly used in the design and manufacturing of various objects such as traffic cones, ice cream cones, and speaker cones. It is also used in the optimization of cone-shaped structures, such as chimneys and cooling towers.

3. What factors are considered in optimizing a cone?

The main factors considered in optimizing a cone are the desired volume, height, and base radius. Other factors such as material availability, cost, and structural stability may also be taken into account.

4. What is the goal of optimizing a cone?

The goal of optimizing a cone is to find the dimensions that will minimize material and resource usage while still meeting the necessary requirements and constraints.

5. What methods are used in the optimization of cones?

The most commonly used methods for optimizing cones include calculus and geometric equations. Computer algorithms and simulations may also be used to find the optimal dimensions of a cone.