1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization of fuel consumption question

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The fuel consumption of a river boat is kv3 litres per hour where k is a constant and v km/h is it's speed through the water throughout this question v > 4 km/h.

i) determine the fuel consumption for a trip of x km against a current of 4km/h and find the speed at which the fuel consumption is minimised.

ii) determine the most economical speed for a trip of x km against the current and return, assuming that the current is constant at 4km/h and that the same speed through the water is maintained in each direction.

2. Relevant equations

none in particular

3. The attempt at a solution

for part (i) is simply got

kv3 = k(4 + (x/t))3, where is x is the distance travelled against the current and t is the time taken to travel it. However every time I try to optimize it I get (x/t) = 0 , which means that the boat does not move a distance x at all! Is this an acceptable answer then? To say that fuel consumption is optimised when the boat does not move against the current at all?

I have not attempted the second part yet...

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Consider that the distance x is measured relative to the stationary riverbanks, but the boat moves at a different speed relative to them in each direction. So the total time is not simply x/v (it would be 2x/v by this reasoning anyway), but the sum of two times, one being x divided by the speed the boat makes relative to the riverbanks going against the current and the other time being x divided by the speed the boat makes going with the current. The fuel consumption would be kv3* times that total time and that is what need to be minimized.

*v is the speed of the boat relative to the water, which we are to assume is unchanged in either direction of travel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook