Optimizing Truck Speed and Freight Load for Cost Efficiency on Interstate Travel

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ph4cm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: C(v,n) = 1375\left(-\dfrac{44.5}{v^2} + \dfrac{29.8}{(180-v-0.5n)^2}\right)$$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v} = 1375\left(-\dfrac{44.5}{v^2} + \dfrac{29.8}{(180-v-0.5n)^2}\right)$$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v}=0 \implies v = \dfrac{180-0.5n}{1+A} \text{ where } A
Ph4cm
A truck traveling interstate, driving at a constant speed of 110km/h, gets 7km/L efficiency and loses 0.1km/L in fuel efficiency for each km/h increase in speed. Costs include diesel ($1.49/L), truck drivers’ wage ($35/hour), and truck maintenance and repairs ($9.50/hour). This truck is mainly used for carrying freight between Adelaide and Sydney (1375km). Explain what would happen if the truck were able to maintain a constant speed over 250km/h?
 Is it reasonable to assume a constant speed for such a trip?
 (Find 2 sources)
 What factors affect the reasonableness of the model the most?
 Suppose that, for every extra freight container the truck carries, the fuel efficiency drops by 0.05km/L. Suggest what will happen to the optimum traveling speed as the load of the truck’s freight increases.
 Find a mathematical relationship between freight size and speed for which cost is a minimum. Discuss your findings.

I've figured out the cost model C= 1375*(801-2.96x)(x(18-0.1x)) (x is speed, C is total cost)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ducduy said:
A truck traveling interstate, driving at a constant speed of 110km/h, gets 7km/L efficiency and loses 0.1km/L in fuel efficiency for each km/h increase in speed. Costs include diesel (\$1.49/L), truck drivers’ wage (\$35/hour), and truck maintenance and repairs (\$9.50/hour). This truck is mainly used for carrying freight between Adelaide and Sydney (1375km). Explain what would happen if the truck were able to maintain a constant speed over 250km/h?
 Is it reasonable to assume a constant speed for such a trip?
 (Find 2 sources)
 What factors affect the reasonableness of the model the most?
 Suppose that, for every extra freight container the truck carries, the fuel efficiency drops by 0.05km/L. Suggest what will happen to the optimum traveling speed as the load of the truck’s freight increases.
 Find a mathematical relationship between freight size and speed for which cost is a minimum. Discuss your findings.

I've figured out the cost model C= 1375*(801-2.96x)(x(18-0.1x)) (x is speed, C is total cost)

What are your units for speed, the $x$ in your cost function?

I get cost as a function of speed, $v$, in km/hr ...

$C(v) = 1375 \bigg[\dfrac{44.50}{v} + \dfrac{1.49}{7-0.1(v-110)} \bigg]$

unit analysis of my cost equation ...

$ \$ = km\bigg[\dfrac{\$ /hr}{km/hr} + \dfrac{\$/L}{km/L - \frac{km/L}{km/hr}(km/hr)}\bigg]$

Yes the x in the model represents in km/h.
Actually i really needed help in the last two questions. I've solved the first 3 questions. And don't mind the "find 2 sources" one it was my annotation. Would you mind to give me the direction to solve the last 2 questions ?

simplified the initial cost function ...

$C(v) = 1375\left(\dfrac{44.5}{v} + \dfrac{14.9}{180-v}\right)$

minimum cost occurs at $v \approx 114 \, km/hr$ with no additional freightcost as a function of speed and freight, where $n$ is the additional number of freight units

$C(v,n) = 1375 \left(\dfrac{44.5}{v} + \dfrac{29.8}{180-v-0.5n} \right)$

$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v} = 1375\left(-\dfrac{44.5}{v^2} + \dfrac{29.8}{(180-v-0.5n)^2}\right)$

$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v}=0 \implies v = \dfrac{180-0.5n}{1+A} \text{ where } A = \sqrt{\dfrac{149}{445}}$

attached is a calculated table of values for $v$ as a function of $n$ (in the table, $x$ represents $n$ and $Y_1$ is speed, $v$) ...

Attachments

• n vs v.png
    n vs v.png
    576 bytes · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
Could you explain more about how you've got the cost function C(v,n) ?
Cause I've got a different answer:
C= 1375∗(1.4918.05−0.1v−0.05n+44.5v)

ducduy said:
Could you explain more about how you've got the cost function C(v,n) ?
Cause I've got a different answer:
C= 1375∗(1.4918.05−0.1v−0.05n+44.5v)

I have a better idea ... explain how you derived your function.

skeeter said:
I have a better idea ... explain how you derived your function.
So the new fuel efficiency function is y(v,n)= 7-0.1(v-110)-0.05(n-1) = 18.05-0.1x-0.05n
Total cost for fuel: (1375*1.49)/(18.05-0.1x-0.05n)
Total cost for wages and repairs: 44.5*1375/x
Total cost for the trip: C(v,n) = 1375∗(1.49/18.05−0.1v−0.05n + 44.5/v)
Could you check if mine is correct ?

So the new fuel efficiency function is y(v,n)= 7-0.1(v-110)-0.05(n-1) = 18.05-0.1x-0.05n

what does n-1 represent?

in the equation I wrote in post #4, $n$ represents the number of additional freight loads

skeeter said:
what does n-1 represent?

in the equation I wrote in post #4, $n$ represents the number of additional freight loads
Sorry it was my mistake, it should only be n like in your equation at #4. But i can't understand how did you get the 29.8 in the equation at #4. Would you explain for me a little bit more please ? That will really helps me

ducduy said:
Sorry it was my mistake, it should only be n like in your equation at #4. But i can't understand how did you get the 29.8 in the equation at #4. Would you explain for me a little bit more please ? That will really helps me

that's my mistake ... should be 14.9. I doubled the numerator and denominator to get the coefficient of $n$ to be 1 instead of 0.5. When I decided against it, I forgot to change the numerator back after I typed it.

minimum cost occurs at $v \approx 114 \, km/hr$ with no additional freight

corrected ...

cost as a function of speed and freight, where $n$ is the additional number of freight units

$C(v,n) = 1375 \left(\dfrac{44.5}{v} + \dfrac{{\color{red}14.9}}{180-v-0.5n} \right)$

$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v} = 1375\left(-\dfrac{44.5}{v^2} + \dfrac{{\color{red}14.9}}{(180-v-0.5n)^2}\right)$...this last equation was correct (see the 149 in the radical?)

$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v}=0 \implies v = \dfrac{180-0.5n}{1+A} \text{ where } A = \sqrt{\dfrac{149}{445}}$

skeeter said:
that's my mistake ... should be 14.9. I doubled the numerator and denominator to get the coefficient of $n$ to be 1 instead of 0.5. When I decided against it, I forgot to change the numerator back after I typed it.

minimum cost occurs at $v \approx 114 \, km/hr$ with no additional freight

corrected ...

cost as a function of speed and freight, where $n$ is the additional number of freight units

$C(v,n) = 1375 \left(\dfrac{44.5}{v} + \dfrac{{\color{red}14.9}}{180-v-0.5n} \right)$

$\dfrac{\partial C}{\partial v} = 1375\left(-\dfrac{44.5}{v^2} + \dfrac{{\color{red}14.9}}{(180-v-0.5n)^2}\right)$...this last equation was correct (see the 149 in the radical?)

Thank you a lot for this help Skeeter, It really helped me with my work. You are a wonderful person.

1. What is transportation calculus?

Transportation calculus is a mathematical tool used to optimize the movement of goods or people from one location to another. It involves the use of mathematical models and algorithms to determine the most efficient routes and transportation methods.

2. How is transportation calculus used in real life?

Transportation calculus is used in various industries such as logistics, supply chain management, and transportation planning. It helps companies and governments make informed decisions about the most efficient and cost-effective ways to transport goods and people.

3. What are the key components of transportation calculus?

The key components of transportation calculus include origin and destination points, transportation modes, transportation costs, and constraints such as time and capacity limitations. These components are used to create mathematical models that can be solved to find the optimal transportation solution.

4. What are some common applications of transportation calculus?

Some common applications of transportation calculus include route planning for delivery services, scheduling of public transportation, and optimization of supply chain networks. It can also be used in emergency management to plan evacuation routes and allocate resources during disasters.

5. What are the benefits of using transportation calculus?

The use of transportation calculus can lead to cost savings, increased efficiency, and improved decision-making. By optimizing transportation routes and methods, it can reduce transportation costs, decrease travel time, and minimize environmental impact. It also allows for better resource allocation and can help identify potential issues or inefficiencies in transportation systems.