1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Variations: Minimizing Fuel Consumption w/ v(t)

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (I'm learning all of this in German, so I apologize if something is translated incorrectly.) So last week we started calculus of variations, and I'm rather confused about how to approach the following problem:

The fuel consumption of a vehicle per unit of time is expressed as follows:

BlIvZXf.png
    In which the vehicle travels a distance D in a given time T. v(t) is the speed of the vehicle (a, b are constants). The beginning condition is v(0)=0.

For what v(t) is the fuel consumption minimal and compare this consumption with another v(t) contanting a constant acceleration.

A tip is then given: Find the functional J[v] which reflects the fuel consumption and the functional for the condition. Take note that v(T) isn't given, but that the stationary J[v] implies a boundary condition of a(T) = 0.
    2. Relevant equations
    Based on the problems we received last week, I assume y(t)+εη(t) is necessary for the minimization of this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm not sure how to determine the functional J(v) that reflects the fuel consumption, but I have assumed the velocity function is any sort of y(t)+εη(t) which fulfills the condition that df/dt = 0. (Which means it is extremal)

5. Übungsblatt Theo - Seite 1.jpg

Otherwise I'm pretty lost here guys. Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since ##\frac{df}{dt}## is the rate of fuel consumption, then the total fuel consumption is the integral of that with respect to ##t##, isn't it? That's what you want to minimize.

4. May 20, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I understand correctly, your problem is
    [tex] \begin{array}{rl}\min & \int_0^T (a v + b \dot{v}^2 ) \, dt,\\
    \text{subject to}& \int_0^T v \, dt = D
    \end{array} [/tex]
    This is a constrained calculus-of-variations problem. The constraint can be handled using a Lagrange multiplier method; see, eg.,
    http://www.mpri.lsu.edu/textbook/chapter8-b.htm#integral ---the section titled 'constrained variational problems--integral constraint'.

Strictly speaking, the second integral above is 'displacement', not 'distance', but if ##v(t) \geq 0## throughout ##[0,T]## these two concepts are the same.

5. May 20, 2015 #4
    Wow, Ray! That was a massive help. I can safely say my first experience on the Physics Forums was fantastic thanks to you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted