1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization problem: minimization

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Minimize the function [itex]f(x,y) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex] subject to [itex]x + y \leq 0[/itex]. Show that the function [itex]MP(z)[/itex] is not differentiable at [itex]z = 0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't gotten anywhere because I don't understand why the solution isn't trivial, i.e. (0,0). Any suggestions as to where to start are welcome. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Your trivial solution gives f(x,y)=0. Are there any others? If there are, then they are all minimizers. If not, then I think you are done.
    What about the differentiable piece? What is meant by MP(z)?

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your constraint is the line y = -x together with the half-plane below it.

What is MP(z)? That information should be in the problem statement.

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4
    sorry about that. MP(z) is the infimum of the set of all values of [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] satisfying [itex]x + y \leq z[/itex], i.e. the minimum value of f(x,y) if it exists, or the greatest lower bound of it. The domain of MP(z) is the set of all z such that there are points (x,y) satisfying [itex]x + y \leq z[/itex].

Formally:
    [itex]MP(z) = inf\{f(x) | x \epsilon C, g(x) \leq z\}[/itex]
    where C is a convex set, in this case R^2

I haven't worked on showing the function isn't differentiable at z=0 yet, I'll probably have questions about that too. I'm mostly confused about why there is anything to solve in the first part of the problem.

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

The solution to the first part is straightforward. Assume there is a minimum that is not (0,0) and contradict your assumption by showing that f(x,y)>0=f(0,0).

7. Dec 4, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The optimal solution IS trivial---you can see that geometrically--- and it is at (0,0), as you have stated.

If you have studied the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions, you will see that (0,0) satisfies the necessary conditions for a minimum, but in the equivalent convex problem ##\min \; x^2 + y^2 \;\; \text{subject to } \; x + y \leq 0##. Since this is a convex programming problem, any local minimum is a global minimum, so the origin is provably the only solution---again, though, that is about as obvious as you can get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted