Optimizing astable multivibrator for minimum power consumption

In summary, to achieve a given frequency in a multivibrator, the optimum values for capacitors and resistors are C1=C2, R1=R4, and R2=R3. This can be achieved by using Nation Semiconductor type LMC6041 operational amplifier and referring to figure 11 in its datasheet. It is recommended to use the lowest power transistors, such as FET or JFet, to reduce energy wastage in the capacitors. Additionally, using the lowest possible operating voltage and the highest resistance resistors will also help optimize the circuit. The specific values of the components will depend on the transistors used, wave shape requirements, and load impedance.
aeftimia
In short, if I want a given frequency, and I use BJT transistors, what would be the optimum capacitors and resistors in a multivibrator.

Example:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tivibrator.svg

So, what are the optimum values C1=C2, R1=R4, and R2=R3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't use transistors.
Use operational amplifier Nation Semiconductor type LMC6041.
Use circuit figure 11 from LMC6041 data sheet.

I know the best way to go is to get the thing built on a chip. I was trying to understand how the chip works in terms of components I understand--i.e. transistors, resistors, capacitors, and diodes.

This is not my area of expertise, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Use the lowest power transistors available. ? Probably FET or JFet transistors?
The energy stored in the capacitors each cycle is wasted, so use the lowest possible capacitance.
Use the lowest possible operating voltage.
Use the highest resistance resistors possible.
The actual value of the resistors and capacitors will depend on the transistors that are used, the wave shape requirements and the load impedance.

1. How does an astable multivibrator work?

An astable multivibrator is a type of electronic oscillator that consists of two amplifying elements (usually transistors) connected in a loop. The circuit produces a continuous output signal without the need for external input, oscillating between two distinct voltage levels.

2. Why is it important to optimize an astable multivibrator for minimum power consumption?

Optimizing an astable multivibrator for minimum power consumption is important because it allows for more efficient use of energy and can extend the battery life of electronic devices. It also helps to reduce heat generation and prolong the lifespan of the circuit components.

3. What factors affect the power consumption of an astable multivibrator?

The power consumption of an astable multivibrator can be affected by several factors, including the supply voltage, the values of the resistors and capacitors used in the circuit, and the switching frequency of the multivibrator.

4. How can I adjust the circuit to minimize power consumption?

One way to adjust the circuit for minimum power consumption is by choosing appropriate values for the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. The larger the values of these components, the lower the power consumption will be. Additionally, using transistors with lower power dissipation ratings and optimizing the supply voltage can also help reduce power consumption.

5. Are there any trade-offs when optimizing for minimum power consumption?

Yes, there can be trade-offs when optimizing an astable multivibrator for minimum power consumption. For example, increasing the values of the resistors and capacitors can decrease power consumption, but it can also result in a lower switching frequency and less stable oscillations. Therefore, it is important to find a balance between power consumption and circuit performance.